Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 11-29-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Using ICM while playing

I was just wondering how people use ICM while playing, especially when you are multitabling. Isn't it hard to plug in all the appropriate information? I've never used ICM but understand its basic concepts. I'm just wondering how ppl are able to have time to use it when they have so many tables running.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Using ICM while playing

I have a little chinese guy sitting next to me who calculates my $ev all the time and gets some sushi if he does well.
No actually sometimes I play some sesh with less tables and plug every push/fold hand where I'm unsure of my optimal range into wiz and play around with the ranges a bit and take a look at the graph.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:45 PM

I know all standard spots in my head where I openpush 10BB, 7.5BB and 5BB for all blindlevels/# of players.

Im bad with callranges though, working on it and working on collecting the pushranges for all 15+1 people i play. (lifetime project? >.&lt

edit: when i run bad i go through all my recent hh's and find where i give up +EV/ take -Ev calls etc.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:46 AM

You get the hang of std. situations pretty fast. I run SngWiz to find errors after most of my sessions. I also run the bubble quiz in SngWiz about once or twice a week to brush up on it.

Like diditmyway, I find calling ranges a lot harder for some reason.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:29 AM

I was working on a system a while ago to do rough ICM calculations quickly. It only worked for calling and you had to memorize a table of numbers as well as know range vs range equities in your head. It had some flaws in a few situations and needed improvement, not to mention that you can't really spare 30-40 seconds when multitabling.

I figured it wasn't worth the effort since you can learn pretty effectively from a program like SnG Wiz, just by reviewing hands until you become a robot.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:00 AM

I've downloaded pokerstove, does anyone know where I can find a good tutorial on how to use it effectively?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:09 AM

bball,

I get the impression that you're asking if people use ICM software to calculate moves while their playing. That isn't the case. People study ICM away from the tables (or even while playing, but *after* hands take place). Then use the knowledge that they learn from those situations and apply it while playing.

Pokerstove of course isn't an ICM calculator, but I suspect you already know that.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:26 AM

My mistake I was under the impression people used ICM while playing. I was wondering on the side tho if there wasnt anything good out there on pokerstove
Old 11-30-2007, 05:29 AM

Some ppl definitly do it during games in some tough bubble spots.

Also some use real time ICM calculation (and I'd guess there is more and more of them)
Old 11-30-2007, 11:36 AM

Pokerstove is good because you can determine the likelihood of certain hands/general ranges matching up against other hands/ranges. I just mess around with the variables and see how different ranges play against each other.

I usually 3-table with sngwiz in the 4th space. If a tough situation comes up, i import the HH, (after making the initial decision), look at the numbers/graph, and the next time that situation comes up (which happens often shorthanded and HU) I have a better idea of the range to push/call with.