Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-07-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Ask a frenchman

[ QUOTE ]
I heard there's gonna be another strike next week. Is this true? If it is, [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

True I'm afraid. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
How do you feel about Nicolas Sarkozy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't vote for him because I dislike his ideas on a certain number of subjects, like crime & immigration. However I think he's a brilliant man, a great orator, and probably a good president for the times we are living.

[ QUOTE ]
What do the French think of Italian high culture?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough question. I'd say mostly admiration and awe. Lots of french tourists flock to Florence, Venice, Rome and other Italian cities famous for their culture. The Louvre has a huge number of italian paintings and sculptures. Italian classical music is revered (Vivaldi mostly). Machiavel is widely read in political science schools. Overall we have no reason to dislike italian arts & culture and all the reasons to admire them.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 PM

This is PERFECT. I posted in french BBV but no one respnded. There is a saying in french that goes something along the lines of "You can only lean on things which provide resistance" or something to that effect. What is the exact saying in the french language for the quote?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is PERFECT. I posted in french BBV but no one respnded. There is a saying in french that goes something along the lines of "You can only lean on things which provide resistance" or something to that effect. What is the exact saying in the french language for the quote?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello there, I'd love to help but the french version didn't jump immediatly to my mind. It's probably not widely used. I then went through a few databases, but nothing of the sort emerged. Maybe you can help me by being a little more precise ? Do you remember any words from the saying ? What context did you hear it in ?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:38 PM

The quote was from a french ambassador he was talking about how even though he didnt agree with sarkozy on all issues he believed he could count on him. He said the quote in english.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:46 PM

After I send my ImagineR app., in how long should I expect it to come?
How hard is it for a student to get a part time job?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The quote was from a french ambassador he was talking about how even though he didnt agree with sarkozy on all issues he believed he could count on him. He said the quote in english.

[/ QUOTE ]

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" ???
Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After I send my ImagineR app., in how long should I expect it to come?
How hard is it for a student to get a part time job?

[/ QUOTE ]

2 weeks at most.

I don't think there are a lot of good part time job but im sure there are a lot of student looking for them so be prepared to do some hunting.

Best choice imo is to give lessons to high school / middle school student. It pay well and its not hard.

Teach English for example, or whatever language you speak.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" ???

[/ QUOTE ]

No it has more to do with the idea that if there is a person in your life that you really depend on they are only truly helpful if they disagree with you from time to time and keep you in check. If they just agree all the time (provide no resistance) you cant really depend on them because all they will ever do is agree with what you say.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:29 PM

Est-ce que c'est vrai que les femmes francaise aiment beaucoup des hommes americains qui parlent mal francais? Nous sommes exotiques et differents, non?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:40 PM

What are some of the main reasons that French voters rejected the EU Constitution? Aren't the French generally pro-EU?