Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 04-01-2007, 10:57 AM

Default (EPT Final) Hand A: T 3o early allin?

Hi guys,

So I will be posting three key hands that I found interesting from the EPT Monte Carlo event that is winding down to the final table as I type.
9-handed

Blinds 25-50

At the start of this hand, I have roughly 15k chips, Villain 17k. Villain appears tight-literal, having played only one noticeable hand in the first 30 or so hands, where he held two black aces on a raggedy all-spade flop and made bets very consistent with this holding.

Pre-flop: 4 limpers from early and middle positions, Villian limps from button, I call from SB w/ T 3o, BB checks.

Flop: 3c 7h Td (300, 6 players)

I lead out for 200 w/ top-bottom pair, three calls to Villian who raises 1200. I reraise 3200, and everyone folds to Villain, who pushes. I fold my remaining 11,000.

My thoughts: My flop reraise was designed to protect a vulnerable hand and nullify the positional disadvantage if possible. After Villain's shove, the pot was around 17,000 and so I am getting about 3-2. What could Villain have here?? I might call here against a maniac, but this guy must be playing T 7s, 7 7, or case 33 / TT. Very unlikely I am ahead against a hand such as A Ts, 8 9s, stone bluff, etc.

My best guess is Villain had T 7s, but regardless, I think I would have needed at least 2:1 to even consider getting all my chips in the center there.

Any comments on this hand, either the fold or earlier action?

One interesting side-note. After around 4 minutes of deliberation over Villain's unexpected shove, a British pro named JJ called the clock on me. There was a lot of hoopla, with the other players at the table commenting vocally on the etiquette of this, the dealer calling out for a clock, and even some TV people abandoning the Ivey table to see what was going on. I believe I would not have been capable of rational analysis had I been without earphones -- so this is one major advantage for having your iPod handy when playing a B&M tourny.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: (EPT Final) Hand A: T 3o early allin?

Villian prolly had JJ/QQ/KK/AA. A set is possible but unlikely imo.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian prolly had JJ/QQ/KK/AA. A set is possible but unlikely imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Villain limped from the button.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:33 AM

Def agree with Lunkan there, Villain is raising a high pcoket pair on button almost for sure. Plus I doubt he would push against an SB limper showing such strength with a one-pair hand, even overpair.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:40 AM

Fold pre-flop. I guess your line is good after that, I might just fold to Villain's first raise though, I can't see him raising you and three callers without a hand that beats top and bottom pair.

Oh and Villain never has an overpair here.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:50 PM

I am folding a set of 3s against the player you described as he is not making this 4bet with 89s and he does not have an overpair here because of his preflop limp. (and even if he did limp it preflop he is still not giving all of this action with JJ).

I also don't love your 3-bet on the flop
Old 04-01-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am folding a set of 3s against the player you described as he is not making this 4bet with 89s and he does not have an overpair here because of his preflop limp. (and even if he did limp it preflop he is still not giving all of this action with JJ).

I also don't love your 3-bet on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume you are not including T7o in his button limp range when folding a set of 3's? Pokerstove says 51% equity if it is included and 23% if it is not.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:21 PM

I think you made the correct fold, what can a straight up TAG be shoving with here? Plus...you guys are so deep, and you have represented nothing but strength, hard to believe you are ever ahead here.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:10 PM

Hi collin,

Are you the Author of the book "Strategies for Online Sit ’n Go’s; Expert Advice for Beating One-Table Poker Tournaments with Three Places Paid"

If so I urge you to create a thread in the 1-table tornament or the books/publications forums.

There are many many question people want to ask you regarding the book.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:12 PM

I think the texture of the board is perfect to make this fold, there are no sensible holdings that you can beat (I think pushing 89 here is pretty insane) and plenty that you are losing to, he is 4 betting a rainbow fairly unconnected board - T7s,77 and 33 are very likely, TT is possible but less so given the preflop action.

Fairly certain you made the right fold here.
Next hand?