Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Doctor HEALTH AND FITNESS: lower back pain!

Hey OOT, I've already made a doctor appointment for Friday, and I have someone hooking me up with some painkillers in the mean time but here is the situation. I'm looking for any type of advice regarding lower back pain.

For the last two weeks or so my back has been "off", today after sitting in a hard chair for a few hours my lower back hurts more than it ever has before.

To give you an example of my situation, I currently have a cold of some kind, and when I cough an excruciating pain shoots through my entire body. It has been there for the last two weeks but it hasn't been so drastic until now.

I'm looking for first hand advice from other people who have gone through this.

Exercises, sleeping conditions, massage techniques, anything is fair game.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Doctor OOT: lower back pain!

If it's a persistent soreness, you might want to consider a firmer mattress. I got the firmest one I could and i am much better now.

If it's a shooting/stabbing pain, it's probably a herniated disc or something and you'll just have to take it easy/take pain pills until it gets better.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:20 AM

f u kipin
Old 10-09-2007, 01:25 AM

You're too [censored] huge.

Period.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:28 AM

My mattress is a bit soft and it has always kind of bothered me, but it has never thrown my back out like this.

Would putting a piece of plywood between my box spring and mattress help alleviate the situation?

Like I said the back pain has been going on for about 2 weeks now, but until tonight I havn't thought medical treatment was necessary and it would just fix itself.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:34 AM

Damn nearly killed 'em.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Doctor HEALTH AND FITNESS: lower back pain!

I had a similar problem last spring and after getting an mri over the summer I was told it was early "degenerative disk disease".

I got a prescription for some patches to put on my back and advice to go to physical therapy. The patches work great because I basically couldn't sit for more than 15-30 minutes without feeling like I was going to break in half and now I can play poker for 20+ hours with only mild discomfort. I have no idea how well physical therapy would work because I have better stuff to do with my time.

Or your problem could be something completely different.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 AM

I have this abotu twice a year for about 3 years after a deadlift that went wrong, its debilitating I cant even get out of bed, Ive never been to a doc though, do not use heat, ice it up, a cold cold bath, even to the point where Ill dump some ice in there snaps everything back into place. I think its a slipped disk or something, and when it gets inflamed it hurts, so the ice brings down the inflammation, and it works very well. Ive only used this technique once earlier this year, and instead of being laid up for a week I was down for about a half a day, I had to literally crawl to the bathtub and it took me about 10 minutes to lift myself in, after about 20 minutes I was completely fine.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:48 AM

Sigh. I just started experiencing this too, and have debated going to the doctor. My lower back pain feels mostly like stiffness. It's a dull, chronic kind of pain, nothing sharp.

I suppose there's a lot of things that can go wrong down there.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 PM

kipin,

no offense intended, but aren't you fat? fat people always have back problems because they're lugging all that fat around. lose weight.

get into stretching. i hurt my lower back and i am the most inflexible person in the world. in elementary school i had to lie about my V-sit results to get the presidential fitness awards. Get one of those yoga straps, ask your doc to set you up with some physcial therapy. once you go 5 or 6 times you get the routine down and then can do it on your own.

my routing involves like 20 minutes of stretching daily and then 1-2 times a week I have a routine I do at the gym that involves doing all the ballerina-type machines, back rows, oblique and ab work, and then some basic stuff like keeping my legs straight and bending over and picking up a crate with weights in it and putting it on a shelf.