Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Official review thread, LearnedfromTV

[ QUOTE ]
For the most part, you played too tight for my liking, but fine, that's your style. Here are the hands I really had problems with:

177: Shove all day. You are so far ahead of his range.
would agree completely if he had opened for 3x or less. i probably still shove but think it's closer than you think
234: Call all-in. yea folding here is a crime.
272: Let's see. 13 + .5 + .4 + .8 +2.2 = 16.9k in the pot, 12.6k to call. Haven't been watching his play, but I wouldn't fold unless he's a super super nit. Against lots of players, you are actually ahead of their range here. It's pretty hard to be far behind their range with only 15x BB. I would call. agreed in 6 max no way u can fold this
278: Flipping your hand face up and then annoucning all-in would be a better play than folding. I'd shove despite having over 10x BB. ya i dont understand folding here. why not make a standard open? also what zj is saying about shoving is valid, but i think a standard open would be best.
283: Reshove. agreed
293: Another hand where you could profitably flip your hand face up and then move all-in. Folding in these spots is criminal.yea. whyyyyy do u wanna fold here. shove all day
314: Way too weak. You could reraise preflop. YOu could lead the flop. You could check call. Check raise. All better than the way you played it IMO. agree the hand was played too weak. personally i would rr preflop planning to call a shove
415: Another profitable face up shove spot. I would raise and call a reraise all-in. ya folding sucks here. i don't like raise/call either (obviously i'm not advocating raise/folding though). shoving is def superior imo. you can shove a pretty wide range here profitably.

Edit: Other than this, you missed a bunch of steal spots I would take, and one or two resteal spots, but like I said above, those are style issues.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 PM

i did some math and you guys are right about 22 vs a reasonable calling range, and it's basically dead even if you turn it face up. I used to open shove too much and I've swong too far the other way.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:34 PM

These are my comments without looking at other people's. In general, your play is nitty and not suited for 6-max. I found a lot more clear mistakes in this than the other PFXs posted in this forum.

I also went over ZeeJustin's comments and have no comment other than I agree with him on every point.

25. I don’t get the turn raise. Are you raising for value or bluffing?
70. I don’t like the cbet with this flop, hand, and position.
149. Half-pot bet and fold on the turn is bad. Preflop, maybe you need to just push or fold to the reraise.
185. Tight open fold of A7o OTB.
229. Awful open fold of Q4s in the SB with 6xBB.
230. I would push 65o on the button with 6xBB.
253. I realize big stack is in BB, but I still open push 42s on the button with 7.5xBB.
283. I would generally push 55 OTB versus CO raise.
294. Tight open fold of Q9s in CO. I know 13xBB is awkward, but just open pushing is cEV+, and you have other plays.
384. I don’t think you can fold KTo in the BB with 7xBB to button raise from big stack. I would stop and go.
389. Tight fold of 44 UTG 6-handed with 12xBB. I would just push.
401. Push QJs UTG 6-handed with 10.5xBB.
415. Tight fold of KTo OTB with 12xBB.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:20 PM

Mostly agree with betgo, although most of my answers would be long and would include the word "depends" and... well... I'm lazy.

But Q4s in 229 is another "face up push" spot. Aweful fold. You just can't pass up hugely +ev spots like this, and yes, it is one (relative to the stack size at least).
Old 09-19-2007, 06:27 PM

a few comments

In 25 i read him for an 8 and was bluffing, it didn't work, should have raised more.

I don't like making marginal shoves with > 10bb, that is probably a leak.

The Q4 hand had to be a misclick or time out. I'm not that bad.

The K8 hand was on the bubble and I think that makes the fold correct. With that stack size and the payout structure, doubling up does not double my EV. That is also the reason I did not shove the 65 (I remember that hand but not the Q4 hand before it. I don't know what happened there because I would shove it for sure).

The ATo BB hand, gank's 4x raise was the reason I folded; I don't think it's a very good reason, but it was the reason at the time. Agree that I'm ahead of his range and should shove.

I said this once above but given history (including chat) I was positive that I would be called in that 55 hand, and that he was raising the range that he wanted to call a shove with, against which 55 is -EV (it would be wrong to call an open shove). I probably can't be certain enough about that not to shove, however.

betgo, your tone and "nitty and not suited for 6-max" is pretty absurd, especially from someone who whines about the tone of others toward him. I do well in six max cash games. I also hold my tongue for a lot of the stupid [censored] you post. There's a difference between constructive criticism and being a jackass. That said, thank you for the substance of your comments, especially on the shoves. I've done a decent amount of push/fold math, but so have you and I think you're right on nearly all of them.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

betgo, your tone and "nitty and not suited for 6-max" is pretty absurd, especially from someone who whines about the tone of others toward him. I do well in six max cash games. I also hold my tongue for a lot of the stupid [censored] you post. that said, thanks for the comments, especially on the shoves. I've done a decent amount of push/fold math, but so have you and I think you're right on nearly all of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean to be nasty, but that is what I thought, although maybe I was too direct. I appologize if you found the tone offensive. I think Zeejustin's general and specific comments were along the same lines.

6-max cash games are different from 6-max MTTs and there are a lot of situations where you need to push or whatever.

There were also a lot of tight folds to resteals and tight folds in steal situations that I didn't mention because they were not that clearcut.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:43 PM

ok betgo, i want to be careful about seeming defensive; I mostly agree with your comments and the ones I'm not sure about I'll do the math and find out. I'm better at push/folding under 10bb and for much of this lategame i was between 10 and 20.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6-max cash games are different from 6-max MTTs and there are a lot of situations where you need to push or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

This got me thinking, so I checked pokertracker.

Generally, I run at ~20/16-22/17 in six max cash. In this tournament I ran at 17/15. In two other six max tourneys I went deep in (a 55 and a 77), I was at 18/16 and 19/16. I don't want to get into detail about my opening ranges in the different positions in cash, but I looked at the position-by-position vpip/pfr stats and nearly all of the difference comes from BN and CO.

This makes some sense, because with 15ish BB effective the LP open raiser doesn't have position as a weapon against 3 betting, like he does in a cash game. Being OOP in threebet pots + the possibility of being 4bet discourages threebets in cash games relative to mtts, which allows you to open more liberally in late position in cash games. Also, being shallower means you can't flat call as often, past the early stages. On the other hand, there are antes in mtts.

So my 6max mtt vpip should be higher than it is. I think this all means I need to either raise/call more, raise/fold more, or resteal more. Probably all three. I mean, missing a few mathematically correct open shoves is one thing, but I don't think it's the main leak.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:58 PM

In MTT play, you need to fight for the blinds and antes much more than in cash games. It's not a matter of statistics. You just weren't playing aggressively enough, particularly preflop.

Also, many of the open pushes you missed were not close, so this was not insignificant. With >10xBB, there were other ways to play some of the hands, but pushing was often better than open folding.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 PM

The statistics are a reflection of preflop aggression. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

////

Mainly what I'm getting at is that when ZJ says this:

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Other than this, you missed a bunch of steal spots I would take, and one or two resteal spots, but like I said above, those are style issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think those are actually more than style issues, and that I need to get better at finding those spots.

I'm saying the push/fold stuff is insignificant not because of the degree of the mistake but because it's easy to fix.