Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: calvin ayre challenges patent troll to fight for bodog name and $1

Go Bodog.com.... I mean bodoglife.com
Old 10-21-2007, 06:11 PM

"and I win simply by having the opportunity to give you a [censored] good face pounding."

I'm pretty sure I love this guy
Old 10-21-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now if he was offering double or quits, and put the money in escrow in a US bank, he might get a taker. Otherwise, why would patent guy bother? He's already won it.

[/ QUOTE ]

On re-reading, I see that he is offering an extra million or so. Which may or may not be balla, depending on how much the patent troll's suit was for. If he already owes patent guy ten million, then it's not balla. If he owes patent guy 500,000, then it's balla.

Still moronic though. Patent guy's won. Bodog lost. We've got your web site, and any money you try to put on US soil eventually comes straight to us. How is that *not* winning?

It's like me saying to sbrugby -- OK, you might be able to beat me at cards, but I could still kick the [censored] out of you. Who cares?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:15 PM

Why was the bodog name copyright infringement anyway, hadnt the company been set up for years?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, that is pretty baller.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2007, 08:03 PM

Although I think what Lewis did was pretty low, this is just a cheap publicity stunt on Ayre's part.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:32 PM

1 mil fight yo
Old 10-22-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why was the bodog name copyright infringement anyway, hadnt the company been set up for years?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was patent infringement rather than copyright infringement. Presumably, the people who sued them had a patent on some part of the software that they use to run their website. In most parts of the world, you can't patent software -- its seen as akin to trying to patent a mathematical algorithm -- but in the USA, you have all these trolls who have been patenting all manner of nonsense. Some of it trivial, some of it already existing in prior art, etc. etc. Then they lie in wait until someone builds a business that uses something similar, and when they are making a lot of money, they sue and settle for licensing fees.

In this case, they sued, IIRC, Bodog didn't show in court, so the troll was awarded the win. But because they've got no assets in the USA, the troll went for what they could get their hands on -- ie. the domain name.

If I were the patent troll, I'd do double or quits. Your patent name back plus my two million vs. your two million for the winner of a 25,000 word thesis shoot-out on contract law -- written under exam conditions.

Lets see how big his cojones are then. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's like me saying to sbrugby -- OK, you might be able to beat me at cards, but I could still kick the [censored] out of you. Who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know man, he used to play rugby..
Old 10-22-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It was patent infringement rather than copyright infringement. Presumably, the people who sued them had a patent on some part of the software that they use to run their website. In most parts of the world, you can't patent software -- its seen as akin to trying to patent a mathematical algorithm -- but in the USA, you have all these trolls who have been patenting all manner of nonsense. Some of it trivial, some of it already existing in prior art, etc. etc. Then they lie in wait until someone builds a business that uses something similar, and when they are making a lot of money, they sue and settle for licensing fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this pretty much the same thing Blackberry went through? They were sued based on a patent that specified a process or how the e-mail servers were set-up.