Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever flown with golf clubs before?

I have flown dozens of times with my clubs. I have never been charged an extra fee. I have used a soft carry bag ... the only issue is that on several occasions the soft bag has come out damaged (and on one occasion my golf bag itself was damaged too). I am giving up on the soft bag and am going to get one of the lightweight (apparently) hard cases.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:57 AM

Alright... I called the airline again, waited for 45 minutes, and spoke to someone who actually knew the rule and was able to explicitly tell me "SIZE DOESN'T MATTER" (o rly? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

Now I just have to get over the worry of the driver head snapping off.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright... I called the airline again, waited for 45 minutes, and spoke to someone who actually knew the rule and was able to explicitly tell me "SIZE DOESN'T MATTER" (o rly? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

Now I just have to get over the worry of the driver head snapping off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently got the Club Glove travel bag and like it. Only flown once so far with it though. They make a thing that goes in your bag to help prevent clubheads from being snapped off. It is an expanding metal bar with a plastic top that they say prevents most instances of clubhead breakage. Check them out if you have time and don't already have something like it. Sun Mountain may also make one of these poles. Seemed to protect the clubs pretty well.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:49 AM

I have flown with golf clubs on several different airlines and there has never been a fee. Even when I stuffed extra clothes in the bag and it was heavy as hell.

I do use a hard case. It cost about $130 but has been worth it considering the number of times I have flown without worry. Ever seen those baggage handlers throw stuff around? I love it when you can see them from the waiting area around the gate. LOL.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:09 PM

I just flew on Spirit yesterday, if you folks haven't flown Spirit, you don't know how cheap they are. They have the lowest ticket prices I've ever seen, but $10 per piece of checked baggage? On a Florida-New Jersey flight, they are proud to offer complimentary water. Want a soda? Pony up $1. I wouldn't be surprised if Spirit charged you quite a bit to bring golf clubs on.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever seen those baggage handlers throw stuff around? I love it when you can see them from the waiting area around the gate. LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job... your joke convinced me to buy a hardshell travel case. I remembered the time I sat on a plane with clear view of baggage handlers loading the cargo area. First thought in my head: "whew... good thing I don't have anything breakable in my luggage."

Returned the soft bag and bought a $99 hardshell case from The Sports Authority using a $25 gift certificate. Ended up costing $75.. just $50 more than what I originally bought except now I have the peace of mind knowing I won't have to pay $50-$100 to reshaft a broken driver.

Now let's just hope my bathroom scale is in the same ballpark as the one at the airport. I had to put my shoes in my carry-on because this thing is heavy.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:02 PM

I wouldn't take clubs in a soft travel case. Most airlines wont cover the cost of damage if your clubs get broken during their handeling if they are in a soft travel case. I have had my hard travel case broken already by airlines so u can imagine how rough they are with golf clubs.usually they will pay for damages to clubs in hard cases.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:15 PM

I just bought a hard case at GI Joe's for $60.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ever seen those baggage handlers throw stuff around? I love it when you can see them from the waiting area around the gate. LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job... your joke convinced me to buy a hardshell travel case. I remembered the time I sat on a plane with clear view of baggage handlers loading the cargo area. First thought in my head: "whew... good thing I don't have anything breakable in my luggage."

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend who works at Detroit Metro Airport on the luggage ramp. Pre 9/11 he and his buddies used to open golf bags for 'inspection.' This meant taking one or two top brand balls from one or two bags a day. Kept him stocked up for the season and like he said "who's going to notice one golf ball missing?"

You will be happy with your hard case, just remember you need a big trunk. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend who works at Detroit Metro Airport on the luggage ramp. Pre 9/11 he and his buddies used to open golf bags for 'inspection.' This meant taking one or two top brand balls from one or two bags a day. Kept him stocked up for the season and like he said "who's going to notice one golf ball missing?"

You will be happy with your hard case, just remember you need a big trunk. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The hard shell won't help with the missing equipment in the post 9/11 era. If they want to open it, they will. I am always asked if the hard case is locked when I check it.

Also, no kidding on the size: It barely fits across the back seat of my Mazda 6 four door.

Also, I recommend checking at the curb if it is available - shorter line and *much* more likely to overlook a few pounds of "overweight" with just a $5-10 tip .