Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 11-30-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: 40 Year Old Vs 65 Year Old American Hitting 90

[ QUOTE ]

Clearly this boils down to one thing:
Probability of dying between the ages of 40 and 65 versus the medical advancements made in 25 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think cohort effects are also pretty important. 40 year olds were born in the 60s and 65 year olds in the 40s. Were the 65 year olds exposed to more hazardous materials that might have a lasting detrimental effect on health (radon watch hands, pesticides, thalidomide, lead paint, asbestos)? Is this offset somewhat by the increasing obesity trend? Are the current 40 year olds fatter by a significant margin so that their fatness offsets (in terms of life expectancy) their hopefully smaller degree of exposure to toxins?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:28 PM

The 65 year old is 25 years closer to 90.
He's got to be the favorite.

What % of 65 year olds are overweight or obese?
What % of 40 year olds are overweight or obese?

It's possible the 40 year olds are more out of shape.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:01 PM

The fact that the 65 year old even made it to 65 favors him strongly as far as genetics and social factors(poor people don't last as long and often have far unhealthier lifestyles). The 40-year olds haven't been sorted out by those two factors nearly so much.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:19 PM

It amuses me how much we can talk about such things and even purport to do so logically and intelligently without referring to life tables.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly this boils down to one thing:
Probability of dying between the ages of 40 and 65 versus the medical advancements made in 25 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

also the probablility of a random 40 year old having access to those future life extension tech. since for a random person they probably won't have access, it makes the comparison like sometihng between two things , each at a very very low probability.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It amuses me how much we can talk about such things and even purport to do so logically and intelligently without referring to life tables.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, they're not that significant. The great majority of 40 yos make it to 65, so the question becomes one of medical advancement and the avoidance of large scale threats to survival.

I have to go with medicine. 25 years will see many of the aging related diseases cured or at least well managed, particularly the big killers of cancer and heart disease.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the tables for these two favor the 65 year old?

Perhaps you could link some tables or some evidence instead of just harping on the same subject.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, they're not that significant. The great majority of 40 yos make it to 65, so the question becomes one of medical advancement and the avoidance of large scale threats to survival.

I have to go with medicine. 25 years will see many of the aging related diseases cured or at least well managed, particularly the big killers of cancer and heart disease.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you've reviewed life tables and watched how they've changed as mortality rates have increased (due in part to advancements in medicine) and you've found they have little to bear on the present question that isn't eclipsed by your ability to predict watershed advancements in medicine radically affecting mortality rates in the next 25 years. Fascinating.

As long as we are bloviating, I predict changes in preventative medicine will have a greater affect on mortality rates in the next 40 years than advancements in chronic care.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the tables for these two favor the 65 year old?

Perhaps you could link some tables or some evidence instead of just harping on the same subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no interest in doing research for you on this particular question.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no interest in doing research for you on this particular question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. So you just wanna troll?

Well then, by all means... Carry on.