Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-27-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Shocking AK hand, be gentle...

Eurgh. It has been a while since i have played and my head is abit screwed up. I have lost abit of feel and cant decide wether i want to raise because its the right move or im pumped up and want to play. Initially i wanted to raise pre flop here but then plucked the standard play out of my head and didnt not go crazy with the AK oop. I think not doing so was a huge mistake but will let you decide. More interested in pre flop rather than post flop. No reads on villains.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($4.90)
Button ($7.75)
SB ($14.55)
Hero ($10.50)
UTG ($7)
MP ($12.05)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.50, SB calls $0.45, Hero calls $0.40, UTG folds.

Flop: ($2.10) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, MP folds, Button calls $1.50, SB calls $1.50.

Turn: ($6.60) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($6.60) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $1.5</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $1.50.

Final Pot: $9.60
Old 11-27-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Shocking AK hand, be gentle...

It's standard to 3-bet preflop, but as you've played it, i think this is absolutely fine.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:22 PM

just make it 2$ pre, you don't want to play that hand oop against multiple opponents(esp that UTG can come along).C-bet more its a wet board and you can fold to a raise.

3b pf to 2.5-3. I like the flop donk you cant risk it getting checked around, too many draws on board. I would end up making a crying call on that river purely on the odds hes giving you.

Preflop is definately a reraise. Make it 2,5$ and probably call a push there as Ak plays bad vs 3 oop, with AK you want initiative and HU. ON the flop you could bet closer to pot as the board is very likely to have hit one of your opponent. Rest looks dine.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 PM

Definite reraise preflop, but as played I think it was good. A lot of draws out there and against 2 other villains, somebody had to hit that flush... fish just love to check their flushes on the turn, makes it a little transparent.

As played, you lost the least (I assume you lost with the 3rd heart out there)
Old 11-27-2007, 01:26 PM

re-raise preflop like 99.99999999997% of the time OOP we want this HU on the flop and not with 547890574374375439034 callers apart from wanting to get value for our huge effectively 2nd nuts hand - flat calling lets UTG join the fun as well and he's a moran for limp folding here with pot odds that good he ought to call there with absolutely ANY hand he thinks is good enough to limp UTG.

postflop I prefer check raising the flop rather than donking into the pfr. Say MP bet $1.50 and we got a ton of callers then a c/r all-in is sexy time I think.

turn and river are standard imo.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:55 PM

I like the way you played it. I think a lot of players would bet the turn there and i think that would be a bit of a mistake.

Not sure about PF, i don't think it's as clear cut as some people are making out and with the pot as big as it is you'd need to 3-bet a lot and then have to play OOP if you get called (apart from the SB obv). AK IS a re-raisable hand, but not all situations are the same so i'm fine with calling here.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:37 PM

Cool, thanks alot. Can wrap this one up by saying Button had J8o [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2007, 02:44 PM

I'm much more unhappy about your flop play than your preflop play.

Preflop is usually bad because AK plays best heads up, suffers badly from RIO, and doesn't do well OOP. A big and punishing raise to $3 cleans out the detritus and lets you win often preflop and even more often with a c-bet of 2/3rds-pot.

On the flop you're sitting on the direct right of the likely raiser in a multiway pot and you DONK it?? Awful. Just terrible. You played it slow preflop so that you could have this EXACT situation come up and then you blew it. If you checked, MP would c-bet most of the time, probably to $1.50. Then, after button and SB called the bet, your call makes it $8.10 and you can safely raise all-in. That's a pot-sized raise that folds out MOST of your opponents, winning you a HUGE pot uncontested. If you're called it's likely to be by a drawing hand and you'll be ahead, or it'll be a weaker pair figuring you for a draw and you'll blow it out of the water.

Your preflop play can occasionally be acceptable depending on table conditions, but your flop play is totally unacceptable and costs you much money in the long run.