Default Re: Rank these running backs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TD and Priest are both products of a great system,

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you have SA #1?

[/ QUOTE ]
I see him as a workhorse back who could not be replaced by a backup (with anywhere approaching similar success) and I see him as being simply the best runner of all backs here.
Of course, I MAY be biased as an Alabama fan who loved watching him for four great years in college, but I think that I'm unbiased here.

[/ QUOTE ]

your comment about being not being replaceable by a backup applies to everyone on this list. as far as him being the best runner-- no one runs exceptionally well w/o blocking, but he has looked strikingly average sans hutchinson + strong.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your comment about being not being replaceable by a backup applies to everyone on this list.

[/ QUOTE ]

LJ backed up Priest okay. Rhodes / Williams backed up Edge well, and Addai replaced him no problem. TD was replaced by a great number of backs.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think SA is one of the top 3 backs on this list, but your comment still seems week. Many of these backs are in a "plug any back in here" system.

hd
Old 11-14-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you have SA #1?

[/ QUOTE ]
I see him as a workhorse back who could not be replaced by a backup (with anywhere approaching similar success) and I see him as being simply the best runner of all backs here.
Of course, I MAY be biased as an Alabama fan who loved watching him for four great years in college, but I think that I'm unbiased here.

[/ QUOTE ]

your comment about being not being replaceable by a backup applies to everyone on this list. as far as him being the best runner-- no one runs exceptionally well w/o blocking, but he has looked strikingly average sans hutchinson + strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

That could be a result of his hitting the wall that all running backs hit, or most likely a combination of the two.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i put barber last because of his fumble issues most of his career

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think that a couple seasons with too many fumbles is more important than the fact he missed 6 games in his entire career?

Its pretty off base imo to put Wesbtrook at 1 and Tiki last when they are the two most similar backs, and Tiki is way way more durable.

I have no problem with saying you'd rather have BW over TB but putting them on opposite ends of the list based soley on fumbles isn't fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

more than just the fumbles. OP said a RB to build a team around at the beginning of their career. imo barber wasnt anything special until towards end of career. westbrook is electric and versatile thus i would rather have him. he can be my RB and my best reciever.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you have SA #1?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering you're the only one ranking him as the best while more than half the pollsters rank him as the worst seems to support your theory of unbiased analysis.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:41 AM

i don't see how edge isn't the consensus here. TD/portis/SA/holmes all were at least somewhat influenced by great offensive lines and offensive schemes. barber couldn't hold on to the ball for a long time and BW has proven to be injury prone (not fluky injuries).

Edge

BW/TD
tiki/portis

SA/holmes

IMO
Old 11-14-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your comment about being not being replaceable by a backup applies to everyone on this list.

[/ QUOTE ]

LJ backed up Priest okay. Rhodes / Williams backed up Edge well, and Addai replaced him no problem. TD was replaced by a great number of backs.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think SA is one of the top 3 backs on this list, but your comment still seems week. Many of these backs are in a "plug any back in here" system.

hd

[/ QUOTE ]

addai and lj cannot be considered backups. rhodes did well but did not have the same level of success as edge; edge's rushing/receiving numbers are significantly better. other running backs have done well in denver, but portis has come the closest to davis and he can't be considered a backup.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:50 AM

You have to love all of the debate here. It is an excellent question and thanks to Assani Fisher for starting this great thread.
This is one of the great things about sports: there are so many differing opinions out there and so many who can argue intelligently about them (as has been done in this thread).
Old 11-14-2007, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you have SA #1?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That could be a result of his hitting the wall that all running backs hit, or most likely a combination of the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but i'm just trying to say that he's not as unbiased as he thinks. i'm not saying sa wasn't ever good, i'm just saying i'd rather have any of these other rbs (maybe not tiki if we don't know whether he solves his fumbling problems).
Old 11-14-2007, 04:55 AM

Also just because a player retired or moved on to another team and replacements have had good production... isn't THAT relevent. None of the other Bronco rb's matched or came close to TD/Portis.

TERELL DAVIS

Seasons among the league's top 10
Rushes: 1996-3, 1997-2, 1998-2
Rushing yards: 1995-9, 1996-2, 1997-2, 1998-1
Rushing TDs: 1996-3t, 1997-1t, 1998-1
Yards from scrimmage: 1996-2, 1997-2, 1998-2
Rush/Receive TDs: 1996-3t, 1997-2, 1998-1

Olandis Gary never finished in the top 10 in any major category.

Mike Anderson
Rushes: 2000-10
Rushing yards: 2000-4
Rushing TDs: 2000-2
Rush/Receive TDs: 2000-5t

Notice the difference? It's not plug and play.