Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: 5: More awesome times in Barrylyndon Land

Strange choice of name. I think that is the only movie I've seen where you like the character in the 1st half and then totally despise him by the end.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:55 PM

Yeh, I'd agree with one of the posters that given the deepness of the stacks envolved in respect to these blinds your initial raise is too small or two big. The expected implied odds you are giving [censored] are pretty good if he hits two pair or flops trips or something. He can get you to stack off, especially if you hold something like AA or AK and don't improve thru the hand. I wouldn't choose the K9 to do what he did but I might cold call with 89s or 66, just to see if the flop brings something to me that would allow me a chance at your whole stack.
I hate playing the big hands online for even 4-5bb PF. I get callers and I know I'm better going in but you're up against these creeps a lot and they will hit now and then.
Guess that's where the money comes from tho,
cheers
Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 PM

I thought your pf raise was a ;ittle light once there was a caller. I definitely think we can extract more out of him when he's shown a willingness to enter the pot. I make it 180-200 but that is a tiny issue.

Flop: I agree with bet, and although I want 3-bet push (I think he's calling most of the time) I fully understand te call on such a harmless looking flop.

Turn: I definitely push here. I now want all chips in. I'm happy to take the pot now as you're already thinking about what can slow you down and he put 940 in voluntarily on the flop. I want to bet more now and that means I'm committed to the shove.

I call the turn as played. I just know when I do I've let the hand go on too long.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Strange choice of name. I think that is the only movie I've seen where you like the character in the 1st half and then totally despise him by the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong forum, but [censored] it, here we go (you started it). SPOILERS WITHIN:

I don't despise Barry in the end. That's pretty results orientated. He [censored] around on his wife, but he would have done that anywhere from when he first became a solidier anyway. He loved his son ardently, which is more than I could say for how most "Noble" fathers are protrayed in cinema.

His decision not to kill his son-n-law in the end was not only a highly sympathetic take on Barry's internal pain, but a quiet statement about "internal nobility" as opposed to postured nobility (or, to a large extent, real nobility). Barry had matured as a man to the point where he would not be so petty to take advantage of one's severe misfortune (Lord Bullington's misfire). He may have cheated his ass of to get to the top, but he had a profound respect for the duel.

I was going to go with "Redmond Barry," instead, but the name is in honor of the film more than for a character. I'm still just "Barry" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Barry
Old 10-25-2007, 03:09 PM

Barry:

What is the buy in?

Why did you post results? Now anything we say contrary to what you did is being "results oriented"

When you got raised on the flop alarms should have sounded.
I wouldn't have put villain on K9os, but K9s is in all MPfuckface's range early on.

I think a set would have slow played the dry board.

Check the behind on the turn. Get to showdown cheap with just a pair. When villain pushes as played call. If hero had checked behind, smash the mouse and fold, It's early use your skill to get your chips back.

Call me nitty, but I'm preceding with caution after the flop re raise on a dry board. I think KQ, KJ type hand just min raise to find out where hero is at.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong forum, but [censored] it, here we go (you started it). SPOILERS WITHIN:

I don't despise Barry in the end. That's pretty results orientated. He [censored] around on his wife, but he would have done that anywhere from when he first became a solidier anyway. He loved his son ardently, which is more than I could say for how most "Noble" fathers are protrayed in cinema.

His decision not to kill his son-n-law in the end was not only a highly sympathetic take on Barry's internal pain, but a quiet statement about "internal nobility" as opposed to postured nobility (or, to a large extent, real nobility). Barry had matured as a man to the point where he would not be so petty to take advantage of one's severe misfortune (Lord Bullington's misfire). He may have cheated his ass of to get to the top, but he had a profound respect for the duel.

I was going to go with "Redmond Barry," instead, but the name is in honor of the film more than for a character. I'm still just "Barry" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I don't remember some of the details, so I would have to watch it again. I am not sure which duel you are talking about, but the first duel he was in, I think the gun-preparer put blanks in the guns so everyone could save face, the Lord could live, and Barry could get out of town.

As far as him sparing his son-in-law, I dont' remember that. I remember him abusing his step-son mercilessly. As I perceive it, the guy had a nice life (proabably better than 99% of the population), but was unhappy because he couldn't achieve lordship and made himself and those he lived with miserable.

Anyway, it's only a movie. Someday, I'll have to watch it again to see this "internal nobility".

I guess I just get upset when people who are very well-off (like Barry Lyndon, Phil Helmuth, Men the Master) act like jerks because of trivial setbacks.