Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 09-30-2007, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Poker After Dark thread (Week of 9/24 - Rivals Week)

lol @ matusow's needle up the ass comments after he got knocked out .... had me laughing my ass off.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one has discussed Hellmuth's butchering his A2 hand. Why the hell didn't he just raise on the flop instead of calling $7k with bottom pair? He's trying to trap? Blah, blah, blah. That's his shtick every PAD and if he seriously thinks that's the way to win this format then he's the stupidest 11 time WSOP bracelet winner ever. What card was he really hoping to see on the turn except the obvious ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could someone tell me what happened in this hand?

The NBC website won't show this clip "in my area".

NM. They're showing the clip in the director's cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the best of my recollection 5 players and both Hellmuth and Sheik have over the $20K with Sheik covering Hellmuth. Sheik raises PF (maybe $4200?). Hellmuth has A2 and calls. Flop is something like 862 rainbow. Sheik bets 7k. Hellmuth simply calls. Turn is a J. Sheik goes all in with his J9 and Hellmuth goes on his rant about how he was trapping, blah, blah, blah. As if the 12K or so that was in the pot wasn't enough to have taken down with a push so he has to trap. He folds. He's short stacked with about 11K.

Also, Sheik had been very aggressive since the beginning (granted he was getting hit over the head with the deck), but he hardly ever had to show.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:52 AM

Not quite.

Sheikhan raised preflop to 2400 (blinds were 400/800 I think), Hellmuth called in the SB, Laak folded his BB. Flop came giving Hellmuth bottom pair and Sheikhan two over, Hellmuth lead out for like 40% pot, Sheikhan raised it 5k to 7k, Hellmuth quickly called and then check folded the turn after Sheikhan shoved.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Before being so hard on Phil Laak's antics, you should at least consider that he and much of the table had been drinking quite a bit. Hellmuth brand energy drink plus vodka. Most people become very irritating when drunk. Laak isn't normally that over the top, and he's genuinely funny and quick witted. I'd rather watch him than the stone faced tight lipped pros.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree with you more, Laak always acts like a coke'd up 5 year old. In fact if anything he has calmed down. You haven't seen this idiot run around the table, do push-ups, shadow box, scream and yell over the last 4 years? He is seriously my least favorite player to watch. My girlfriend asked me if something was wrong with him mentally and she was dead serious. If they had told me that Laak would have made it all the way until Friday, I would have skipped this entire week, I was rooting for someone to knock him out every time he was in a hand. Heck if someone would have told that Shana drops her top and then shoots a shoulder fired missile through Helmuths head sometime before then, I still would have skipped this week.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ matusow's needle up the ass comments after he got knocked out .... had me laughing my ass off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was great.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth,

stop picking yourself everytime you're standing up,

ty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've figured out the problem. Hellmuth has been eating too well and hasn't got around to buying bigger undies. As a result, they're constantly riding up his ass crack. If you look carefully, when he stands before finally busting out he's also working the front area as well.

.Z
Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Before being so hard on Phil Laak's antics, you should at least consider that he and much of the table had been drinking quite a bit. Hellmuth brand energy drink plus vodka. Most people become very irritating when drunk. Laak isn't normally that over the top, and he's genuinely funny and quick witted. I'd rather watch him than the stone faced tight lipped pros.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree with you more, Laak always acts like a coke'd up 5 year old. In fact if anything he has calmed down. You haven't seen this idiot run around the table, do push-ups, shadow box, scream and yell over the last 4 years? He is seriously my least favorite player to watch. My girlfriend asked me if something was wrong with him mentally and she was dead serious. If they had told me that Laak would have made it all the way until Friday, I would have skipped this entire week, I was rooting for someone to knock him out every time he was in a hand. Heck if someone would have told that Shana drops her top and then shoots a shoulder fired misile through Helmiths head sometime before then, I still would have skipped this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can dream, can't we?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not quite.

Sheikhan raised preflop to 2400 (blinds were 400/800 I think), Hellmuth called in the SB, Laak folded his BB. Flop came giving Hellmuth bottom pair and Sheikhan two over, Hellmuth lead out for like 40% pot, Sheikhan raised it 5k to 7k, Hellmuth quickly called and then check folded the turn after Sheikhan shoved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I had a feeling I didn't get it quite right. Hellmuth's smooth call on the post flop raise was ridiculous. He even admitted after that hand that he doesn't know how to play this format and I believe him. What I don't understand is why he doesn't get some help from his poker buddies since this is his 5th or 6th PAD. Either his ego is too big to admit it or he really is a pompous ass and has no friends who he trusts to give him good advice.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:30 AM

Yeah all the talk about the A2 hand and how lucky Sheik got was ridiculous. I'm pretty sure Sheiky was going to fire most cards, not just ones that hit him, and Phil was folding most of them. Phil just seized on the fact that he got Sheiky to admit he hit the turn to cover his bad play.