Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 PM

Default C/R river nuts??? HU

Villian isn't anything special. Plays pretty straigt forward. Haven't seen him go crazy with bluff. Plays pretty weak passive post flop. My thoughts on this spot are that if c/r on the flop has to have something that will bet this river the way I played it (checking turn/river).

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($117.50)
Button ($76.85)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Button calls $0.50, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $4.9</font>, Hero calls $3.90.

Turn: ($11.80) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($11.80) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks ???
Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: C/R river nuts??? HU

Doesn't look horrible. Check-raising the river occasionally, even if you don't get called, is a good way to lessen the likelihood you're being bluffed, and increase the likelihood of free showdowns when you need them. You're only really getting called by A8/AJ here if you check-raise, other than a split which obviously shoves. You profit when he does decide to value-bet a flush that he wouldn't have called with and when he bets a lower house. You lose when he would have raised your initial bet with anything. In terms of what he has, it looks more likely that you're up against A8 or an underfull than a flush, so I guess this a nice spot to c/r. See my last thread in BBV for when to valuetown someone OOP.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:03 AM

id raise this preflop most of the time. i'd lead river give him a chance to raise you. if you check raise hes getting away from this pretty easily unless he has a8 or aj. if he does have aj or a8 and is bad enough to raise river theres noway hes laying down to a river 3 bet with his stack.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:36 AM

I really like a C/R here given the way you played the hand I'd say he's going to bet this river a lot.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:06 PM

In these spots, betting small can usualy accomplish as much as a c/r without giving up as much value. Something like $3 or $4 where he thinks you might have a scared flush.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:03 PM

i'd just pot it. i don't think he's calling a checkraise too often even if he's frequently betting, but i don't want to let him bet small or check behind and if you bet i think you're getting called most of the time
Old 09-14-2007, 12:21 PM

I checked, he potted, I repotted and he called with 88xx.