Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Honor Systems

[ QUOTE ]
Onto my question: Could you see an honor system WORKING in the case of music/movies/games?
What if the customer could choose how much he wants to pay for the media/record?

[/ QUOTE ]
The "honor system" about using pirate music/movies/games will obviously work if you get thrown in jail for violating the rule. And if you know someone who is violating this "honor system" and do not report, you're in jail too.

So yes, any "honor system" would work [or has a high chance of working] if the consequence is harsh enough [such as expulsion for missing a citation].

Singapore probably has more people following the "honor system" than any country in the world; probably even more than the Vatican haha.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought about the Freakonomics bagel guy when I started this thread. The guy runs an entire business around people paying on the Honor System with no enforcement mechanism at all (and it works).

[/ QUOTE ]
that's a pretty liberal definition of a system that "works." 11% non-payment is a very significant chunk of cheaters.

[/ QUOTE ]

considering how much he saves on not having paid employees i would imagine it works better than a regular business.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about the Freakonomics bagel guy when I started this thread. The guy runs an entire business around people paying on the Honor System with no enforcement mechanism at all (and it works).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite common around where I live; there are a huge number of farms that sell their produce out the front on the road, where people take the produce they want and leave the appropriate amount of money.

It simply wouldn't be economical to staff some of these relatively low volume outlets with people.