Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Playing KKKJss HU

Villian is hyper aggro. Raises and repots almost always (all his bets have been PSB so far into the match -- 20 hands or so)and is waaaaaay too aggressive so far imo. I normally don't put a ton of weight into hands like KKKx or AAAx but in position HU I'll play them aggressively, especially when I have a suit to go with the hand.

Anyways, how far do you take this?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $2 BB (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($235)
Hero ($194)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $18</font>, Hero calls $12.

Flop: ($36) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $35</font>, Hero calls $35.

Turn: ($106) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $105</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $106

Appologize is this is standard.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Playing KKKJss HU

PF and F seem standard. I'd take it as far as you did then muck it. You're sure to find a better spot to pick him off than with just an overpair and a gutshot.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:30 PM

I don't know, but I don't like having the 3rd king in this spot when calling a 3bet. Maybe being double suited would push it to the call you made, but if you're not willing to make a move postflop with this hand then I don't think it has much value against.

You could conceivably semi-bluff raise the flop. Your kings act as blockers to a straight draw and you have a clean gutshot to the nuts. And if you are calling with a hand like this and he's been running you over, then I don't hate making a move here. Still it would be nice to be holding something better here. 4betting preflop might be an option too. You said you play these hands aggressively in HU, but you're not in this spot against this guy and should just consider folding it preflop then.

I'd rather feel out an opponent with a stronger draw personally. But he could just be powerbetting with JT/T8 or put you on one of those hands and will just keep pushing.

In this spot it helps to know how he plays postflop, as in if he's capable of folding postflop.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM

Clunker,

That was part of my reasoning with the line. I wasn't shocked it got 3bet and I wasn't uncomfortable taking a flop with this hand in a 3bet pot. Calling the turn PSB is marginal and I just thought I could find a better spot vs this opponent. But if I KNEW I was planning on folding almost any turn bet, should I just muck this fop?

Slap,

Its impossible to be double suited with 3 of a kind in your hand. Obv I'm not happy with the three kings and If I could make one an Ace or Queen I would, but I don't hate the hand either.

If I was planning on felting this flop, then I think raising the turn rather than play it passive and call it down is the right play. If I take the line of semi-bluffing the flop by reraising then folding isn't really an option after that, right?

I actually don't know about 4betting preflop. No idea if this would be a spew or is the standard play. I just like having options when I get it all in preflop and this hand lacks them, so I generally like to see a flop before I commit more money. Not sure if thats the right play though, its just the one I take.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:37 PM

If I was planning on felting this flop, then I think raising the flop rather than play it passive and call it down is the right play. If I take the line of semi-bluffing the flop by reraising then folding isn't really an option after that, right?

edit.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:37 PM

I just open fold, sometimes I play AAAx in this spot.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 PM

if I open the hand I fold to a rr
Old 08-23-2007, 07:58 PM

as played i'd felt this flop pretty much always. He isn't going to slow down here very often.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:38 AM

Whoops about the double suited comment.

I didn't say you felt this hand, as if you do then you've pretty much played the way the lag wants. Raising the turn is even more of a bluff since you're basically sticking it in by that point. You can fold after raising the flop, you don't have to full pot it in a 3bet pot.

I think overall you can take from this is that it's just a crappy hand to go with, you're basically playing a reraised pot with 3 cards to his 4 cards.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 AM

I think this hand does have some value preflop, enough to call the 3bet. I would have raised flop to about $90 and folded to a shove, though.