Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 11:35 PM

Default teach me 6max

UTG is getitfixed on 2p2 and he recognizes my name from here, so we know we're playing other posters. Short stack is terrible. Whats the general line here. Also, do you repot preflop OOP?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($276.25)
Hero ($100)
UTG ($121.65)
MP ($31.80)
Button ($46.65)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, MP calls $3, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12.5</font>, UTG calls $9.50, MP calls $9.50.

Flop: ($38) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ???
Old 08-20-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: teach me 6max

I thinking betting half the pot is your best bet. UTG probably wont try to bluff you with a short stack left to act behind him so if he raises you its probably ok to assume he has a real hand here. MP has such a wide range here you got to pay off the $20 or so he has left. If UTG just calls I would probably check/fold most turns.

I wouldn't repop oop with this hand. Its pretty obvious your going to have two guys playing behind you in this situation. One of them a semi-decent player who has you outstacked and a short stack who might push any flop with any piece of it. Your hand really isnt much unless you hit your set or FDraw. This flop clearly illustrates why getting a lot of money in the pot out of position can put you in really tricky spots.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:35 AM

Yeah, I really don't like this reraise from the BB. You're hand's not all that great to begin with. (One suit, dangler 7) and if UTG actually has AAxx here, you're completely f*cked. Definitely just call this hand OOP.

As played, on the flop, I'd bet exactly the amount that MP has left in his stack. That somehow comes across strong to opponents I thinks and reminds UTG that there's going to be a dry sidepot and no reason to semi-bluff a FD or something. If UTG does raise, you can assume trips and fold comfortably.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:53 AM

I think you're usually ahead on the flop. You're holding an Ace and normally either player would 4-bet pre-flop with AA here.

Most of the time, versus two opponents, neither will have trips, particularly if it's a low card like a 6.

I think betting out half pot is a pretty good move. This will put MP all-in, and even if UTG has some sort of draw he may be less willing to play it because of the chance that MP shows up with a made hand.

There's an argument for checking as well, as it's unlikely anyone will make a better two pair. Depends how aggressive you think your opponents will be with draws.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:04 AM

The Repop here preflop is terrible for the follwing reasons:
1. By potting UTG, you know UTG has a strong hand with either a double suited rundown hand, rundown hand, or maybe a ss AAxx type hand. It depends on the opponent, but there's not a ton of people who pot UTG with COMPLETE air.

2. If he repots preflop, you fold? correct? Then why put out a blind bet pre without getting to reevaluate the flop and your draw?

3. If he flat calls preflop, what type of range do you put him on? He could easily be playing rundowns like 5678,5678os even. Now you're stuck with a sticky situation out of position against a scary board. You've clearly repped AAxx and now with a board like this, even if you're winning, he can easily scare you off this hand by potting the flop.

As played, either 2/3 pot and fold to a reraise or check fold. Try not to reraise here with marginal hands like that. You'll find yourself making very difficult plays after the flop, donating to TAG players AND even LAG players. Come to think of it, there is NO positive impact from this reraise unless he folds, which is totally player dependant, but I try not to take shots at people preflop. Omaha is a flop game, not a preflop game like holdem. PM me if you wanna talk more about this. Gl [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 01:53 AM

i'd give it up. check... fold to any bet other than a micro one.

why risk the unknown? you can wait for some more sure in a cash game without the blinds going up...
Old 08-21-2007, 02:12 AM

Of course! That was the mistake I made when analyzing the hand. I forgot that the blinds don't go up in cash games. Silly me.

Scratch my earlier advice and just check/fold anything but the nuts from now on. In fact, you can just use that advice for everything and we won't even need a PLO strat forum any more.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 AM

wait, what? Then how come when people suck out on me two or three times in a row I've seen the blinds go from .5/1 to 1/2 to 2/4 in a matter of seconds? I thought it was like "get sucked out on, move up a level!" You're telling me that was by choice? Sure didn't feel like it!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:02 AM

you could bet about half the stack of MP, inducing him to shove something worse and leaving you an oppertunity to re-raise.. Not saying that you should use do that, but it'll put UTG in a squeeze, making him worry about your vicious plans when action returns to you (a thinking player should drop most hands here)..

just a thought
Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 AM

if you are popping this OOP and you know you are going to be first to act you have to lead the flop - i would however lead for just under half the SS remaining stack, as the other player will know if he calls and shortie pushes then you are more than likely going to repot

if you bet like this and the 2+2er calls you are almost certainly drawing very thin and its a c/f from this point on