Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 03:28 PM

Default 6 or more to the flop--differences in starting hands, NLHE, vs. LHE?

Using "Small Stakes Hold 'Em" by Miller/Sklansky/Malmuth, I have been trying out their limit loose game (average 6+ players on the flop) starting hand recommendations at no-limit hold 'em microlimits. They seem to work quite well at the .01/.02 games, and I even used them once with success in level one of a very loose $1 NLHE STT. But working well doesn't necessarily mean working optimally. What kind of adjustments, if any, do I need to make in tranferring those recommendations from limit to NL?

(The book isn't presented as a limit-only book, but it talks about capping the betting often enough that I took it that way).
Old 07-05-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: 6 or more to the flop--differences in starting hands, NLHE, vs. LHE?

I don't like just transferring SSHE's (which I would consider a limit hold'em book) starting hand recommendations from LHE to NLHE.

You have vastly more versatility with preflop raise sizes. If you're still having 6 people to the flop and you want less, a simple adjustment would be to simply raise more.

If you have a cardrunners membership, there was a good article and video series with small stakes NL, which included a rough starting hand 6-max guide. It looked pretty sharp to me and I'm sure it should be a very effective default preflop strategy to learn from.

In the early stages of learning NL, CR is really too good to be passed over anymore. I know it's a decent amount of money up front to some of you guys playing the micros, but it can really accelerate the learning curve. I mean everyone's got all of these same books now.