Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Reducing the amount of luck in poker

i always said this to myself. if we get all in we split it based on equity, but i mean come on. thats why its gambling.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf. im lost with this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe OP is Sklansky's gimmick account

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 07-04-2007, 03:35 AM

Dude..
Sounds like you're getting a sick run of card/tilt/bad play and are fed up with the swings of NL.
I think this idea is horrible to be honest but in a constructive way.. why not try playing limit games?
This = less variance for ya [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2007, 03:41 AM

OP,

If you can't figure out how awful your "vision" is for professional players, let alone the game as a whole, then you should stop playing the game seriously. That is, if you even did to begin with. This isn't a cheap flame, I'm just being honest.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:59 AM

OK, serious response.

OP,

[ QUOTE ]
I personally play rarely right now, due to the fact that a string of bad beats makes me feel like I never want to play poker anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comment here is a very common sentiment amongst beginning players. Alot of people here on this forum had thoughts like this cross there mind early in their careers. But they overcame it.

You get the money in good and lose...it's part of the game. You're rarely a 100-0 favorite. When you're a 70-30 favorite, well you lose those 30% of the time. Play enough, and they can stack up. You can't just forget the times your aces held up against kings and remember the two times jacks (or 7T) sucked out on your aces.

Basically what it boils down too is that you want people to put their money in as an underdog. And you take the beats when they come and move on. Long run, all the percentages even out to their true numbers. You may lose AA to KK all-in preflop 4 times in a row. But, you'll win that pot 80% of the time over the course of your career.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:01 AM

Well put AJ. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the comments in the other thread include "this would ruin poker forever"... how? I don't see how this affects the game very much at all. The gameplay is the same, the EV of each play is the same... the only difference is that variance is less of a factor and the "long run" comes much sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was answered in the other freaking thread.
If this was the case, then the fish who come to gable purely on luck would have no reason to play any more. Jesus - learn to read.

[ QUOTE ]
tilting would happen less often

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, and this is a good thing how?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are on to something sir. I can see the future of poker now:

SB is dealt face-up A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB is dealt face-up 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG is dealt face-up A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BTN is dealt face-up 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

$30 pot to be split by equity:

Pay the rake, chop it up, move the button, next hand, weeeeeeee...

[/ QUOTE ]

And these people would be going all in preflop with every single hand, why?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some of the comments in the other thread include "this would ruin poker forever"... how? I don't see how this affects the game very much at all. The gameplay is the same, the EV of each play is the same... the only difference is that variance is less of a factor and the "long run" comes much sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was answered in the other freaking thread.
If this was the case, then the fish who come to gable purely on luck would have no reason to play any more. Jesus - learn to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant to address this in the first post but evidently it slipped my mind while I was typing it. I might be wrong, but I don't think many people would stop playing. You can still gamble, bluff, and play a high risk game. Remember, it would only affect hands in which people go all in. So the only thing you can't do is repeatedly go all in with flush draws and expect to make a profit... well guess what, you can't do that now anyway.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
tilting would happen less often

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, and this is a good thing how?

[/ QUOTE ]
I see your point, but at the same time I don't love to prey upon tilting players as much as other people. I enjoy poker when it's a competitive game of skill... and I enjoy it less when lucky cards are determining all the huge pots, or when people get desperate/emotional and stop playing skillfully.

Perhaps I'm in error to see the game as anything more than a way to get money, but it's how I feel. Not everyone will agree.
Closed Thread