Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 05-06-2007, 12:32 PM

Default huge manic rasies in microlimits

I play most Pokerstars $1 + .20 sit-n-gos (1 to 5 tables), but a little .01/.02 cash as well. I'm fairly tight with my starting hands. What do I do with a good hand when thin-the-field raises DON'T thin anything

I should add that this often comes up very early, before I can have any reads.

Example: first hand of 45-player sit-n-go, I have AQo. I'm one off the button, with 3 limpers, and I raise it to 6bb. This starts an orgy of raising and reraising until it's 20 bb blinds to me with two opponents still in.

Later, I had AK, the same thing happened, and I folded again.

Against my AQ, the two hands that I folded to had T9o and QJo. The next time, three in with big raises, I folded again. Hands against me are garbage, garbage, and KK, and I don't know whether the KK guy might play with crap next tiome.

When I'm at a table like this, too early for any reads, what is the best strategy?

Should I just fold for a while until the maniacs bust out or calm down? Should I try to get every hand in as cheaply as possible until I see the flop? I can't believe that I should risk a large percentage of my stack on hand #1 with AQ during level one, even thought there's a good chance that I have the best hand.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: huge manic rasies in microlimits

I've been playing the 45 ($25+2) player SNGs there lately also, and I agree that playing AQo in that position doesn't feel very good. I think AK is a different story, really. AQ is more marginal and I would normally fold it given the action you describe.

I go into these 45s with the standard strategy that I play small-ball until we're down to a couple tables and just try to accumulate chips and remain about average. At that point, or when I'm very much below average, I ramp up the aggression. So far it's working well for me.

You may be seeing more maniac play in the lower buy-in games, but I think the strategy I mention will work there as well.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:39 PM

In your $1 SNGs with AQo and the action you stated there are two things you can do:

1: Raise and raise big. The problem with raising here is your raise is going to either be too small in relation to the stacks to force anyone to fold, so they call (and even if you hit a piece you're still vulnerable) or you're going to pick up the limps, which at this level (of blinds) aren't really worth much given the risk you take in getting called by 2+ opponents nearly everytime with a weak hand (AQo).

2. Fold. I vote for this move in the early stage of a $1 SNG. Most of the players at this level will be willing to call/push your raise with 2 live cards or better (typically will see a pair or AK if you get called). By folding this hand early, you dodge losing a lot of chips with a marginal hand (again, even if you connect with the board) in relation to what you'll likely win (You're looking for an opponent to have exactly AJ/AT and call off their stack when an Ace hits).

For a cash game (micro-stakes) I'll often make a pot-sized reraise preflop, usually taking down the limps/blinds or getting called by 1 opponent. I rarely ever make this play with AQ if there's already been a raise (though with a good read you can).

D_D
Old 05-06-2007, 05:03 PM

$1 45 sngs: Be willing to get it in preflop with AQ+ JJ+. In the first 2 stages I open for 5xbb at the minimum. Also limp in position with connectors if there are alot of people who limp in front of you. Call raises in the first 2 levels in position with any mid and small pps if the raise is 3x bb or smaller. You want to see cheap flops with drawing hands and small pps because often you get pot odds to draw to str8s and flushes post flop.

.01/.02 I limp with any connector any suited A any pair from any position. I open a minimum of 4x bb with AJ+, KQ, 99+ from ep, ATo+, KJs+, 77+ from mp and lp. The goal is to push your big hands and see cheap flops with the others since like the 45 man tourneys you'll get great pot ods to draw and hit a monster. Once you move up to .10/.25 playing like this is spew but works great and the nano stakes.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:07 PM

Heres an example. A donk minraise and 2 people check tp on the flop, one guy smooth calls a minraise with AK pf. I get infinite odds to draw to my 5 outer on the flop.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($5.48)
Button ($0.75)
SB ($0.90)
Hero ($4.53)
UTG ($4.86)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.04</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.04, SB calls $0.03, Hero calls $0.02.

Flop: ($0.16) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($0.16) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $0.06</font>, SB calls $0.06, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.35</font>, UTG folds, Button calls $0.29, SB calls $0.29.

River: ($1.21) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.51</font>, Button calls $0.36 (All-In), SB calls $0.51 (All-In).

Final Pot: $2.59

Results in white below:
Hero has 7h 9d (two pair, nines and sevens).
Button has 5c As (one pair, aces).
SB has Ks Ah (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins $2.59.