Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 06:16 AM

Default PAT

Tee times are at 8:20 and 1:20 at Prestonwood CC. Target is 154 and the course is par 70.

TR to follow this evening.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Re: PAT

good luck!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:28 AM

Is this your first attempt?

What's the main reason you're taking it for? Do you want to be a club pro? Or are you like the lawyer friend of mine who's just going through the program and giving a few lessons so he can play free golf wherever he wants?

GL dude
Old 04-30-2007, 10:34 AM

Shooting +15 for two rounds is all you need to do to become a pro? I'm confused.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shooting +15 for two rounds is all you need to do to become a pro? I'm confused.

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

A golf professional not to be confused with a professional golfer. 90% of what it takes to be a good club pro has nothing to do with if you can actually play. The only time that matters is "smoozing with members", perhaps picking up a little money in some section events, and giving lessons.

The giving lessons part is more about public perception than anthing else.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

A golf professional not to be confused with a professional golfer. 90% of what it takes to be a good club pro has nothing to do with if you can actually play. The only time that matters is "smoozing with members", perhaps picking up a little money in some section events, and giving lessons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know the difference. I don't know--I'm just somewhat confused by the process. At my peak I could definitely pass that at my home course (was down to a 4.5 at one time), but I would never consider myself qualified to be a club pro. At the same time I know of great swing instructors who just aren't good players.

I guess I'm just surprised it has a playing requirement like that. I would have expected either a very strict one (maybe 10 strokes better over 2 rounds) or none at all (more about passing knowledge tests, less emphasis on playing).
Old 04-30-2007, 12:54 PM

In practice, being "qualified" to be a club pro, i.e., an ability to succeed, has more to do with how many sets of clubs you sell than how well you play. And, you've got to be able to pick the right people to play with on your Wednesday morning tee time, which, by the way, is the only time all week you'll get to play.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know the difference. I don't know--I'm just somewhat confused by the process. At my peak I could definitely pass that at my home course (was down to a 4.5 at one time), but I would never consider myself qualified to be a club pro. At the same time I know of great swing instructors who just aren't good players.

I guess I'm just surprised it has a playing requirement like that. I would have expected either a very strict one (maybe 10 strokes better over 2 rounds) or none at all (more about passing knowledge tests, less emphasis on playing).

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to pass the PAT to start working on the PGA books. The program is called GPTP (golf professional traning program). It takes a few years to finish. I finished in 4 but I have heard that people have done them in 17 months. I think the PGA gives you 8 years to finish. If you don't pass all the levels of the books and test by then, you start over. Most of it is busy work but I learned a lot about the golf business while working through the GPTP books.

and yes the PAT is easy. I think too easy but after playing in one and looping for a few of my friends I saw that I am much better than most people that want to become golf professionals. I worked with a guy that took it almost 30 times before finally passing by 1. And I have a roommate that has taken in about 5 and only come close once.

I think I passed mine with 7 shots to spare, and was the second lowest score at 1 or 2 over for 36 holes. That shows how bad most people are when I was over par and was 2nd out of 30. The only person that beat me worked there and shot 66 66 I think. Omni Tucson National in Tucson Arizona for those that care.

Oh and if I had it all to do again, I wouldn't.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the clarifications. Never knew about all that.

Eh, maybe if I've got money to blow and I'm at the top of my game one summer I'll sign up, just to be able to say I did (and hopefully passed).

I'm good at golf but I'm better at other things and there are many things I'd rather devote my time to in the long term, I guess.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:42 PM

I missed this attempt and wasnt really ready, at all. I shot 83 84 in 90 degree 15mph winds, blah, excuses. My ball striking today was some of my best ever but the greens were out of this world impossible. Not really disappointed though as I've played like 5 rounds this year and was only taking it cause I was required to before the end of school. I played with a minitour pro who destoryed it and played like ass.

First attempt is under my belt so I feel good about that at least. When I played a few rounds at the same place in march the greens were soft and easily manageable and I shot 74 75 with no trouble at all. In a month the place turned evil.