Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 03-28-2007, 01:20 AM

Default eBay account hacked, Stars is helpful

At 5:45 today, I got 5 emails for 5 Oakley sunglasses auctions that were posted on my account on eBay. My instinct was this was an eBay phishing email, but I logged into my account and saw they were in fact up for sale. I changed my password and started running spyware and virus scans.

At 6:33, 5 more of the same auctions were posted. This was definitely scary since it essentially concluded I had a keylogger.

I quickly emailed Stars and told them this and they promptly called me. They checked to see if anyone had made login attempts (negative) and then froze the account until I can secure my computer.

My spyware scan came up with a few things that I quarantined, one being a "password eavesdrop software." The problem is this came from a winrar download so it's a likely false positive.

What should my next steps be? Obviously I should change all my passwords, probably at someone else's computer. Formatting will 100% get rid of this? Will backed up documents be a potential hazard when restored on the fresh installation? Do I even need to format if I've run multiple spyware/virus scans and they're all clear?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: eBay account hacked, Stars is helpful

So your password likely got hacked. You have been doing some downloading. Your virus checker turned up "password eavesdrop software" on one of your downloads, but you do not think that is the problem. Okay...
Old 03-28-2007, 02:00 AM

cardcounter, this is were your worthless troll of a POS @$$ is suppose to link us to the check cashing FAQ. Damn you are slacking you dirrty troll.

Really why are your posts here so damn worthless?

OP whether you think that is a false positive or not, you need to take care of the issue. First make sure to change important passwords from another computer that you know is clean. Also I would disconnect your infected com from the net for the time being.

Do a full restore, and yes some of your backups depending on file types could be a huge threat to reinfect. You had better be damn sure they are clean before reinstalling those on the reformatted computer.

Also anyone who is gambling for serious money I would suggest buying a 2nd computer to be used solely for gambling. Why take a chance?

-Brendan
Old 03-28-2007, 02:01 AM

Cardcounter is such an awful poster.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:03 AM

yeah, why even have a virus checker, because when your password is obviously stolen and the virus checker turns up password stealing software, that possibly couldn't be it. Just ignore it.
Boy, I sure am a [censored].
Old 03-28-2007, 02:36 AM

CC,
I did a google search that suggested it is a false positive.

Update: This happened AGAIN an hour or so ago. After contacting eBay again, the new guy found some (probably) good news.

Apparently the first time they got on eBay they were able to connect the account with 3rd party batch listing software and authorized it to update my password whenever it was changed. It's not clear how the 1st one happened, possible it was phished and seems like this is likely since they were basically eBay hacking "pros" in that they had auctions ready to list and knew this trick.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
possible it was phished

[/ QUOTE ]
You realize phished means you went to hacker's website (that appeared to be legit) and gave your password, right?
So not only do you download questionable software, do not scan it immediately upon download, you now think it is likely you have been giving out your password? I hope you didn't have any credit card/bank/other passwords on your machine. Maybe check out a security FAQ here, or google "safe computing".
Old 03-28-2007, 02:53 AM

CC, thanks for the advice!!!

What questionable software did I download? WinRAR is not questionable.

I know what phished means and remember possibly falling for this once in the past.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:00 AM

Why isn't WinRAR questionable? Where did you get it? Hackers love to plant stuff in bootleg copies of WinRAR.
Although, when I first read your post I thought you were talking about a .rar type file that you had downloaded from somewhere.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:11 AM

It was downloaded last summer from the WinRAR corporate site. This argument is pretty dumb. I obviously wish this were the source so it'd be resolved, but don't believe it is.