Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Playing AK OOP in Reraised Pots

This is a basic situation and I wanted to do a checkup here. The button seems pretty aggressive; his pfr is about 25 and he has been betting and raising a fair amount postflop, but I haven't seen him play any really big pots yet.

I think I have to reraise preflop because if I just call, I am going to be playing AK OOP in a multiway which doesn't sound pleasant and because the guy raises enough hands behind two loose limpers that I have a good shot of taking it down immediately.

If you agree with that, I am mainly wondering how much to bet on the flop. I don't like betting full pot because then a push is just a min-raise and it sucks to have to fold here getting 4:1, so I decided to bet less.

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
CO: $197.30
BTN: $356.70
Hero (SB): $219.05
BB: $163.5
UTG: $119.15
MP: $227.25

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($3, 6 players)
UTG calls $2, MP folds, CO calls $2, <font color="red">BTN raises to $11</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $45</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, CO folds, BTN calls $34

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($96, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $60</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises all in</font>, Hero folds
Old 03-18-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Playing AK OOP in Reraised Pots

I think your preflop RR is too big. I go like 36ish here probably.

I think this flop might be a c/f for me. He probably cant fold TT here, and he could potentially have a slowplayed AA. You just dont get much to fold on this flop.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:51 PM

Your line is fine, although there's no shame in check-folding either unless you've seen him call big 3bets very light.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:51 PM

I might bet a little more on the flop but other than that...so standard it hurts.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:06 PM

If you normally bet $60ish on this flop, do you do the same with the same with kings? Or are you betting 60 here with AK and 90 with KK and hoping no one catches on?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you normally bet $60ish on this flop, do you do the same with the same with kings? Or are you betting 60 here with AK and 90 with KK and hoping no one catches on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm the same, obviously.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 AM

Other than the rather large bet sizing this looks fine.

I really hate these kind of situations though myself. I repop AK out of the blinds for value (it beats most openers' ranges by miles) and to mask my reraises with hands like AA/KK.

However, on completly baby flops, I get lost. I think I should learn to c/f more, but it seems so, so weak! Also, flopping an ace/king makes me feel better, but getting value out of alot of opponents in that case is like.....impossible :/
Old 03-19-2007, 01:56 AM

I would probably 3-bet a little smaller ($36 as previously mentioned seems good). I think that the relatively large size of your 3bet narrows his calling range quite heavily. Against most I would say TT+, AK.

I don't think that much of this range is going to fold on the flop, so I think that check-fold may be best, although it feels horribly weak.

There was a really good thread examining how profitable it may be to raise cbets in 3bet pots. I'll try and dig that up.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:58 AM

That thread is here
Old 03-19-2007, 02:00 AM

totally standard.

i also used to 3bet a bit smaller here but on hearing green plastic's advice have been 3betting slightly more than pot-sized oop and it has been working well. so i think bet sizing is fine too.