Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 07:19 PM

Default $1+.10, 2TT, Stars. All-in on first hand?

I know that basic stategy is to be tight, but. . . I'm a new player, starting at micro level with $50 bankroll, want to build it up and play at 3% level as I go, i.e, $3+.40 with $100 bank. Three straight 2TTs, two players went all-in on the first hand, and I called. I had AA, AA, and AK, and I busted out all three times to worse hands. Should I put that down to variance and keep going in when I have the goods? Or should I fold the best hand/nuts and let the maniacs fight it out?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: $1+.10, 2TT, Stars. All-in on first hand?

[ QUOTE ]
I know that basic stategy is to be tight, but. . . I'm a new player, starting at micro level with $50 bankroll, want to build it up and play at 3% level as I go, i.e, $3+.40 with $100 bank. Three straight 2TTs, two players went all-in on the first hand, and I called. I had AA, AA, and AK, and I busted out all three times to worse hands. Should I put that down to variance and keep going in when I have the goods? Or should I fold the best hand/nuts and let the maniacs fight it out?

[/ QUOTE ]

At this blind and buy-in, AK is (oddly enough) an easy laydown on the first hand ... Obviously, unless you are on the bubble and questionable as to making the money in a tourney, you're never laying down AA pre-flop (and even then, it's got to be extremely unique parameters) ... I've played many $1s on my way up (although I'm not much further than $5s and $10s), but if you're a decent player, you can get your chips in in MUCH better situations that level 1 with AK !!! If this a turbo, however, you can make an argument for calling with AK ...

But, even at the $10s ($11s), I push AA first hand looking like a nut, and someone always tries to be "sheriff", and I double up first hand ...
Old 03-15-2007, 09:58 PM

It just dawned on me--why would the tournament being a turbo make in difference in whether or not I played AK?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:07 PM

I don't mind all-in with AK first hand at these levels. You'll find a lower A often enough to make it profitable. If you lose, do a new one.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind all-in with AK first hand at these levels. You'll find a lower A often enough to make it profitable. If you lose, do a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, in the long run it'll be very very profitable to call with AK on the first hand, lot's of anger but lots of sweet sweet profit.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:42 AM

Either you are making this post to whine or you will never be good at sng's.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It just dawned on me--why would the tournament being a turbo make in difference in whether or not I played AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because in a turbo, the blinds go up faster, so you have fewer hands to be patient ... Thus, there is more pressure to gamble in a turbo, as it's more of a mathematical game than a regular, which at some point also becomes a purely mathematical game ... In a regular, AK is an easy laydown preflop first hand calling an all in ... In a turbo it all depends on your risk aversion ...
Old 03-16-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
two players went all-in on the first hand, and I called.

[/ QUOTE ]

AA, don't even consider laying it down. AK two people already all-in, I would lay it down. You don't want to be the 3rd one in without having a made hand.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:47 AM

PC,

In poker, generally getting in with the best hand is ok, even though it doesn't always hold up.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PC,

In poker, generally getting in with the best hand is ok, even though it doesn't always hold up.

[/ QUOTE ]

this guy knows, hes a mod [that deletes ppls posts for no reason k thx jeremy]