Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Cooking tips requested: Steaks (no grill)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd go about 90 seconds on the first side, 30 on the second

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised you cook 1/3 as long on the second side. The pan's lost a lot of heat after searing the first side (even if it's cast-iron), so I'd think you'd want it about the same length on the other side.

[/ QUOTE ]

...this (these) steak(s) are being finished in the oven under this time scenario. In the oven, the second side will still be in contact with the still hot bottom side of the cast iron pan. I've found that an unbalanced stove top formula works best though I could be off with my estimates. I'm not a recipe person and I rarely do things the same way twice. Feel welcome to insert your best judgment. (Side note: I pan broil chicken similarly.)

For the shallot and mushroom set, I really like to mince the bejesus out of the shallots and something like a brown crimini mushroom. After the steaks come out, I throw in a big pat of butter, let the shallot and shrooms go and then reduce it all with port. A secret ingredient here is to add a splash of cassis (black currant) liquer. If you've serving a Cab. or bourdeaux with the steak, that tiny hint of the black currant really plays well with the wine.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Cooking tips requested: Steaks (no grill) - UPDATE

So I tried the strip today. Used a little bit of good olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic.

Tried it with the smoking hot pan, but decided to just finish it on the stovetop (instead of doing anything in the oven). Damn near filled the entire apartment with smoke, but the end result is one freaking delicious steak (especially considering I don't have a grill).

I think next time I'm going to do it over less than "ridiculously high" heat and finish them in the oven. The olive oil and garlic taste incredible. I'll go for the shallot/deglazing process next time too. You guys know what you're talking about, thanks!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Cooking tips requested: Steaks (no grill) - UPDATE

The heavier the pan the better.

Cast iron pan is best.

Even better is a cast iron pan with raised grill lines.

Note that these are relatively expensive, probably $20-30 range. However, it is literally impossible to make a decent steak (or other proteins for that matter) without a heavy pan.

The main reason is you need a pan that will get hot, heat evenly, and stay hot when you put cold food on it to get the sear and caramelization which makes meat taste good.

Once you have a good cast iron pan, you can make an incredibly tasty steak very simply:

Start with a good cut. In my opinion, sirloin is the best value for what you get, but if you want something better (and more expensive) you can go for ny strip or tenderloin or what have you.

Dry the steaks with a paper towel, and then season it heavily on both sides with salt and pepper.

Heat the iron pan for a good amount of time - perhaps 5 minutes depending on the strength of your stove.

Lay the steak on the pan, and don't touch it. Don't shake the pan or move the steak around. Once it is done (about 5-8 minutes depending on thickness) turn the steak over and repeat, for another 5-8 minutes.

Once it is done, take it off the grill, and put it on a plate. Let it rest for a few minutes (this is important) and then serve.

I like my steaks rare, and find that for a 1.5" steak it takes about 6 minutes on a side.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Used a little bit of good olive oil
Damn near filled the entire apartment with smoke

[/ QUOTE ]
I know you liked the taste of the olive oil, but if you use a stronger oil, like canola, you won't get nearly the smoke.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
like canola, you won't get nearly the smoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like grapeseed oil for this purpose.

Also, I'd respectfully disagree with some of geormiet's opinions. The traditional flat cast iron pan is preferable to anything rideged. While cast iron is best, I can pan broil in an old, run of the mill restaurant aluminum pan with good results.

Lastly, I've begun to salt my meat more often after cooking. While (dry, meaning oiless) pan broiling it is a good idea to sprinkle a little salt in the pan first, in general, I now prefer to add salt and pepper once the steak is out. I once spent a fair amount of time looking at various bisteca alla Fiorentina techniques and it appears that the favored method for this is to salt and oil the cuts after they've come off the grill.