Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Probability

Old 11-21-2007, 05:02 PM

Default This problem is pissing me off

Ok, so I bought some CD training thing to learn probability and statistics, and Im getting pissed off cuz I swear their answers are wrong. But I obviously don't know this stuff well enough to be like "ok, this thing is total crap and was made by an idiot" because I obviously bought the CD cuz I don't know the stuff.

Heres the problem that makes me want to throw this thing in the trash. Can someone give me the correct answer so I can know for sure who sucks more at statistics, me or the guy who made this CD

An urn contains 5 red balls, 3 white balls, and 6 blue balls. Determine the probability that they are drawn in the order of blue, white, and red, given that each ball is NOT replaced in the urn after it is drawn.

thank you very much
Old 11-21-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: This problem is pissing me off

[ QUOTE ]
An urn contains 5 red balls, 3 white balls, and 6 blue balls. Determine the probability that they are drawn in the order of blue, white, and red, given that each ball is NOT replaced in the urn after it is drawn.

[/ QUOTE ]

6/14 * 3/13 * 5/12 = 15/364
Old 11-21-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, thats what I get. They come up with a different answer (14/2184). I didn't think I could be wrong cuz its such a simple problem. Its also not the first problem that their answer has been different from mine either, and the fact they don't show the solutions to all the problems is insanely stupid. This things going in the trash. Thanks for making me not feel like a ginormous retard, heh.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, thats what I get. They come up with a different answer (14/2184). I didn't think I could be wrong cuz its such a simple problem. Its also not the first problem that their answer has been different from mine either, and the fact they don't show the solutions to all the problems is insanely stupid. This things going in the trash. Thanks for making me not feel like a ginormous retard, heh.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's clearly a mistake on the CD. Also, they should've shown the solutions to all problems. The correct answer is 15/364, as you've determined:

6/14 * 3/13 * 5/12 = 90/2184 = 15/364

The mistake that the author of the problem made is that the denominators were correctly multiplied, but the numerators were added, producing an answer of 14/2184. Even a mathematician or statistician can make a simple mistake.