Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 12:02 PM

Default A couple of questionable pushes given 15+ BB (6 max, 30 and a 20)

30+3: Blinds 25/50

1. Hero (750), CO
Button (983), Button
Villain, SB (2200)
BB (2600)

Villain is exactly the type of player to call with a lot of broadways, low pairs, even a weak ace. He's terrible.

Fold to Hero who pushes with 88 ?

2. 20 + 2, HU ITM

Blinds 60/120

Villain (2900) SB
Hero (6100), BB

I've been very aggressive thus far, pushing a lot with a big stack throughout. Villain has been passive / limpy, but could be getting sick of my pushes and call me down light. I have been using this big push here because so many weak aces or KQ, KJ have been coming for the ride. And if I raise, I know he's going to call, and when he calls, I'm going to be OOP in a [censored] spot.

Villain limps, Hero with As10s pushes.

Barry
Old 11-08-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: A couple of questionable pushes given 15+ BB (6 max, 30 and a 20)

1. I make it t150

2. you're wayyyyyyyyyy too deep. There are obviously better moves than jut a straigth push with so low blinds.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:16 PM

I guess that in (2) those moves may be obvious, but if you think you can stack off a weak ace with As10s when you know this limp isn't a strong hand, then why not? It's still profitable - or it has been in situations like this before. These limps turn into calls with weak aces when they see the "massive overbet." Plus, if I raise to 480, he calls, now I'm OOP and dealing with a bunch of crap whilst pot = 40% of his stack. I dunno.

I dunno, Rex. Basically, my experience here with 15BB stacks at 750 is that when I raise 150 against a hyper looose player who is going to call me down so goddamn light with any two that when an over comes up, I'm going to either win because I have the best hand or lose or be lost even if he does check. I mean, with 600 left and 300 in the pot, what do I do - bet 150 and fold to a push? Sounds like ass.

If I push, this type of player is going to slam click that button with broadways, 77, 66, Ax. I think, if I did a calc. on his calling range, I'm probably getting like 60/40 or something like that. I don't mind picking up the 75 chips either.

So, doesn't this make pushing in these spots fine?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:55 PM

1)Push or raise. I lean towards pushing because bigger stacks love to call what they think are shorties with really bad hands.

2)I don't think there is anything wrong with pushing but when you are only pushing this deep, you generally only get called by hands you're way behind. However, I think given your read it's fine.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1)Push or raise. I lean towards pushing because bigger stacks love to call what they think are shorties with really bad hands.

2)I don't think there is anything wrong with pushing but when you are only pushing this deep, you generally only get called by hands you're way behind. However, I think given your read it's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be results orientated, but in Hand 1, opponent insta called with A6o. In hand 2, opponent insta called with KJo. I lost both, of course, but the more pertinent point is that I think this move is good against "it's a hand, wtf, I call" opponents. Just gotta know who they are.

Barry
Old 11-08-2007, 03:03 PM

HOWEVER, I'm not in love with it. If I were running better, I think I would play more flops and drill them. Maybe I'm preflopping more because: 1. my opponents have been calling me down SO LIGHT lately for monster preflop pots that I'm starting to see moves like this as more profitable; 2. It seems that these days, any excuse for an opponent to get it in with a weak ace pre AND/OR float preflop with air is happening. So, I'd rather have the get it in 70/30 preflop...

So, maybe it's a mix of pscyhological WTF plus +EV long ball against a new vision of intensely donkish tendencies. I dunno.

Barry
Old 11-08-2007, 03:50 PM

First hand I would just raise t150. Don't forget you're not only pushing into the SB and you might be inclined to fold to a raise of the other opponents (or probably taking a flip here).
If the SB calls I'd get it in on the flop on a relatively high board (maybe one overcard). If he catched, so be it.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:54 PM

Include all the stacks. It makes life easier.

88 is probably a fine push and I suspect it gets better the wider he calls.

The ATs hand is probably a +EV push as is, but there's probably better ways to play the hand unless your opponent is a better player than you are.