Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 01:08 PM

Default NL100 | AQ BvB vs 3bet

I thought this was interesting, maybe you will too?

Opponent seems like a typical 2p2er -- tight & aggressive, and although definitely exploitable, also quite solid. Perhaps just a tick tight and just a tick passive (sample size alert). This is the first time he has 3bet me preflop, and the size of the raise is atypical. He usually goes 3x. At this point I don't know what that means, or if it means anything at all.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

<u>Hero (SB): $219.90</u>
<u>BB: $137.05</u>
UTG: $87.65
MP: $37.20
CO: $128.00
BTN: $228.95

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
4 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $14.00</font>, Hero calls $10.00

Flop: ($28) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero ... ?

We need a plan here for the rest of the hand. What do we want to achieve?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: NL100 | AQ BvB vs 3bet

Meh, I will deliver my response to you 2 ways (already done through PM).

First of all, I almost never call 3bets oop. I probably 4bet here almost always, but there is some merit to just calling. A lot of preflop RRing has a lot to do with how it fits into your game, so it is fine.

If villain is aggro, I like a C/R AI (I know its an overbet). It looks like a FD or AK (that didn't 4bet pre), and it can get a lot of light calls. Since this villain is somewhat passive, I like a lead. No one respects donk bets and it might get him to raise. He will at bare minimum call down lightly. If he raises, lead/shove. If he calls lead flop, c/c turn, lead riv if turn checks through.

The only real card I worried about is a K and maybe a J or T. I am probably showing this down (with all money in middle if possible) almost always. As I said, I will slow down if a K or J hits.

PS - I know you said he hasn't been 3betting you, but with BvB all bets are off. TPTK is the nuts here, IMO.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:29 PM

we want to achieve getting as much moeny as we can off tt-jj and kq while losing as little to qq,kk,aa. Tight player probably isnt raising anything less so i think this is time to take a pasive line start c/c and see how it goes. You can make a hero fold if he fires flop and turn for most his stack. Crap part of this is when he checks flop and bets turn; should we then value bet river or allow him to bet as bluff/dominating hand? Other option betting and getting it in on the flop or betting to find out where we are at I [censored] hate . Last option check rasiing flop is just stupid because hes only folding hands we are dominiating think i covered all our options.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we want to achieve getting as much moeny as we can off tt-jj and kq while losing as little to qq,kk,aa. Tight player probably isnt raising anything less so i think this is time to take a pasive line start c/c and see how it goes. You can make a hero fold if he fires flop and turn for most his stack. Crap part of this is when he checks flop and bets turn; should we then value bet river or allow him to bet as bluff/dominating hand? Other option betting and getting it in on the flop or betting to find out where we are at I [censored] hate . Last option check rasiing flop is just stupid because hes only folding hands we are dominiating think i covered all our options.

[/ QUOTE ]

We probably play in verrrry different games. By the way, I certainly wasn't implying that we are betting to "find out where we are at." I was betting to get money in the middle because I am ahead of his range.

After reading this, I realized that my line might not be suited for 100NL. I am not convinced of that yet, though.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We probably play in verrrry different games. By the way, I certainly wasn't implying that we are betting to "find out where we are at." I was betting to get money in the middle because I am ahead of his range.

After reading this, I realized that my line might not be suited for 100NL. I am not convinced of that yet, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your line is fine at NL$100, especially in a blind battle. There is some variance involved and I think that is what will make some people uncomfortable.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your line is fine at NL$100, especially in a blind battle. There is some variance involved and I think that is what will make some people uncomfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay, approval from the SSNL guru. High variance is no big deal as long as you continuously run hot like me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
find out where we are at."

[/ QUOTE ] Wrote my comments before i saw yours so didnt mean to offend you wasnt implying thats what you meant and after reading what you said I agree with ya although i personally hate getting my stack in in 3 bet pots . Ive been getting yelled at by josh that people will stack off light in 3 bet pots but you have to let them
Big thing i dont like about this hand however is flat calling it preflop. I didnt comment bc he said guy hasnt 3 bet me much before so while i dont want to fold im not sure 4 betting great option either. Flat calling however makes this a mess to play postflop unless you take my line or commit your stack.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
find out where we are at."

[/ QUOTE ] Wrote my comments before i saw yours so didnt mean to offend you wasnt implying thats what you meant and after reading what you said I agree with ya although i personally hate getting my stack in in 3 bet pots . Ive been getting yelled at by josh that people will stack off light in 3 bet pots but you have to let them
Big thing i dont like about this hand however is flat calling it preflop. I didnt comment bc he said guy hasnt 3 bet me much before so while i dont want to fold im not sure 4 betting great option either. Flat calling however makes this a mess to play postflop unless you take my line or commit your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got ya sir. I actually wasn't offended, but I may have come across that way. Seriously, you should be willing to commit your stack in spots like this vs almost all decent villains. The problem with flat calling pre isn't related to this situation. This situation is basically ideal. The problem is the other 66% of the time that you completely miss. You are sitting with Ace high in an inflated pot out of position. That can be another discussion, though, and calling has its merits.

[ QUOTE ]
i personally hate getting my stack in in 3 bet pots

[/ QUOTE ]

This is when you should be much more willing to get your stack in. Larger pot-&gt;more to fight for and better odds to call light. You should really think about this and do some math.