Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Should I accept this job?

I have a dilemma.
I am currently working as an Intern in a field that I majored in and love. I really like the company and it would be a good foot in the door for other things down the line. The only problem is the team that I am working with has no openings. Only about 11 people on the team.

I interviewed and was offered a job with another team that is something that I could handle and am good at for now, it just isn't what I want to do as my career. The thing is since the skill level required to do the job is less, they are offering about 10-12K less than what I am looking for and could get in the field I am interning in.

The only reason I am thinking about accepting the offer(if I could negotiate about 5 more thousand on it) is because if a spot opens up with the team I want to be in, I would be set for a few years with great experience for future advancement.

The other reason I am thinking about taking the job is because I don't have anything else lined up and my internship is coming to an end in a month or two. If I didn't take the job I would have to move back home to search for one through college career fairs/Online job sites/Company websites.

Should I take less money for now and work for 6 months at a job for less money, hoping for a spot to open up or move home and rely on finding one.

My real interest is in Networking and the job they are offering is Help desk/Desktop Support. I feel very qualified to get an entry level networking job, I just haven't found anything yet.

Will probably cross-post somewhere to get more opinions.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Should I accept this job?

Have you actaully looked/interviewed for and been turned down for jobs in networking, or have you just not looked? If the former, then you should probably take the job you were offered. If the latter, and you honestly feel you are qualified for the positions you are looking for, then don't take the job and try to get a job that you will actually like.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 PM

Yes, I have interviewed and made it to the final grouping of people that a company will drive/fly in for final interviews. Just haven't impressed the people I needed to I guess.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:51 PM

Tough decision. I would probably lean toward taking the lower salary job especially if you like the overall company culture and people - and the location of the job. You never know what could change after you accept - maybe one of the 11 take another job. If it looks like you have no chance of transferring to your target group, you can always start looking while you are working - which will make you look a little better to potential employers.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have interviewed and made it to the final grouping of people that a company will drive/fly in for final interviews. Just haven't impressed the people I needed to I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah then I would take the sure job and look for another one in the mean time. Maybe you aren't as qualified as you think you are.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 PM

[censored] no. Interview outside the company for similar positions.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:40 PM

I'd take the job, the job market is extremely difficult/competitive now as it is and using the job fair/internet search route isn't all that easy. Take it for the time being and use it as a springboard for the future, you sound young enough where you have plenty of time to alter your plans if need be.