Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: aba is my king
yers 59 60.20%
BASTARD 39 39.80%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 06:40 PM

Default General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

I originally created this thread to share some of my favorite albums that I've never seen talked about on 2+2 (at least not in any great length). I titled the thread the way I did because I didn't want to limit the discussion to just these albums, and I figured EDGD needed a more general music-discussion thread.

I have 5 or 6 albums specifically in mind for this thread, but I'm going to post them one at a time (I promise I won't forget/lose momentum). I'll probably put another one up tonight after the game if I'm not too drunk and tired.

So feel free to comment on my stuff, share some of your favorite albums/bands, whatever. Also, I'm not much of a writer, and I've never formally reviewed an album in my life, so bear with me.

Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co.

Songs: Ohia is a one-man singer/songwriter from Cleveland. Most of his stuff is really low-key/slow/somber, but this album is a little different. It's not exactly upbeat, but there's so much different instrumentation going on here that it's a lot more accessible for people who can't just listen to an hour of guitar & vocals. Also, this album is far from being a one-man project, since Molina brought in several different musicians and even a couple guest vocalists on two of the tracks.

What I really love about this album is how it doesn't sound anything like an "indie-rock" album. His stuff is more reminiscent of Springsteen's Nebraska than anything recorded in the last ten years. I had this playing in my car with my 50-year-old dad, and he was like "Who is this? This is really good."

Highlights for me include Just Be Simple, Almost Was Good Enough, and Hold On Magnolia.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

Im glad the animator from Monty Python's Flying Circus is still around.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:19 AM

The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I

This is easily one of my favorite five albums of the last ten years, and in strong contention for #1. If you were listening to indie-rock in the late '90s, you almost certainly heard (of) these guys, but I'm sure there are quite a few that are either totally unfamiliar or just haven't taken the time to get into them. To those people I say: GET THIS ALBUM.

Musically, this album is very jagged and angular, yet makes me want to get up and dance (then I remember how white and uncoordinated I am, and reconsider). I've listened to quite a few albums that incorporated angular rhythms and syncopated time signatures (e.g., Slint, June of '44) and even more that incorporate funky poppy riffs, but I think this is the only band that manages to do both at the same time. This album starts with a high level of energy and actually manages to maintain it throughout the album. Aside from The Jitters, which is kind of a faux-Radiohead throwaway track, each and every song on this album is remarkable and different, and if you listen to the album repeatedly, will all get stuck in your head at one point or another.

Lyrically, The Plan is equally remarkable. In a time where the emo-indie scene's lyrics consisted almost exclusively of whiny, introspective, extended metaphors (I guess that's pretty much any time, isn't it), Travis Morrison manages to explore similar feelings with lyrics that are actually original and accessible.

I absolutely love this line:
There are folks that say to have a soul you’ve got to suffer
Well lately I’ve had my RDA of that
And call it fascist but I know that someday happy
Will be all that matters

Also, anyone who ever had the opportunity to see these guys live know that they put on an awesome show.

LINK TO ENTIRE ALBUM FOR FREE. This is from their website BTW, so it's all legal and stuff.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:41 AM

Great call on Dismemberment Plan, as I mentioned in the Of Montreal thread E6 bands are the shizzle.

I'm on a big ambient kick lately so I will throw out a few names: Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Sigur Rios, Bell Orchestre (Arcade Fire sister band), and my favorite:

Godspeed You Black Emperor. Amazing orchestral rock that gives me the chills everytime I listen to it. Moya
Old 02-05-2007, 08:10 AM

Location: There\'s no real \"evidence\" for it but it is scientific fact

cobrakai, check out this will destroy you. They sound a lot like explosions in the sky, and their album was probably one of the best of 2006. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOXmWUAXMYQ
Old 02-05-2007, 03:35 PM

Tokyo Police Club

Just got introduced to these guys, but they are really good. It's really catchy and is similar to some of the UK indie stuff. Their songs and the CD overall is short, but it has a little bit of a Go Team! feel to it that I like
Old 02-05-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great call on Dismemberment Plan, as I mentioned in the Of Montreal thread E6 bands are the shizzle.

I'm on a big ambient kick lately so I will throw out a few names: Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Sigur Rios, Bell Orchestre (Arcade Fire sister band), and my favorite:

Godspeed You Black Emperor. Amazing orchestral rock that gives me the chills everytime I listen to it. Moya

[/ QUOTE ]

Throw some Dirty Three on top of that. Start with Horse Stories and move forward chronoligically. The stuff before Horse Stories is also excellent but less ambient.

KJS
Old 02-05-2007, 04:09 PM

Dismemberment Plan is easily one of my favourite recent bands. However, for some reason or another, I have always found Change to be a bit better than Emergency and I. Though, both are very very good.

The back to back of You are Invited and Gyroscope is the albums highlight, imo.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:18 PM

All,

If you have posted or post album/band/music review threads of this genre, I suggest posting links to them here.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dismemberment Plan is easily one of my favourite recent bands.

[/ QUOTE ]

D-plan fans might remember an awesome band that they used to tour with a lot called Juno. The Juno singer (arlee carstens) now is a part of a project called Ghost Wars that you can find on myspace i believe.
A great Juno song to check out is called January Arms.
Closed Thread