Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 12:54 PM

Default You call it

Yesterday, I was playing and an interesting situation arose. 4 limps around to the button who puts in a hefty raise and takes down the pot preflop. While the dealer is pushing him the pot, he shows that he only had one card. If he gets called, what happens? We asked the floor and got an answer, but she seemed unsure.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: You call it

I believe that you need two cards to win.

Peace,
Mygtar
Old 11-20-2006, 01:11 PM

What was he trying to accomplish by not telling anyone he got dealt 1 card, and then on top of that raising PF? Something like that deserves a warning from the floor at least imo.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday, I was playing and an interesting situation arose. 4 limps around to the button who puts in a hefty raise and takes down the pot preflop. While the dealer is pushing him the pot, he shows that he only had one card. If he gets called, what happens? We asked the floor and got an answer, but she seemed unsure.

[/ QUOTE ]

He needs two cards to win in holdem.

Generally when the button has only one card it's because the dealer didn't deal the last card (the actual position of the button can make it confusing so it's a common mistake). In the old days before the TV poker boom the player would simply ask for his second card, the dealer would replace it, and the action would go on.

But now we live in a new age, where it isn't good enough to do things the simple way. So not only does the player not ask for his second card ASAP before acting on his hand, but after apparently taking the pot down with an intimidating big bet he has to rub it in by showing that he can win with only one card. Real cool.

A more satisfying OP might go like this:

"I was playing and an interesting situation arose. 4 limps around to the button, played by a college age type in what now appears to be standard poker regalia (i.e., one of those brimmed knit hats (strange given it was 110 degrees outside), wrap around sunglasses, and a hooded sweatshirt). The button puts in a hefty raise. One old timer is actually paying attention and puts in an even heftier reraise. The rest of the field clears out. While the button goes "into the tank" trying to decide his next move the old timer points out that he only has one card. He asks the dealer to call the floor. The floor declared the button's hand dead and forced him to leave in the amount of his raise. Old timer takes down a big pot.

Was this the correct decision?"

Yes.

~ Rick
Old 11-20-2006, 01:36 PM

Most places, if he is called, he loses.

RbtsRls:
(d) The hand does not contain the proper number of cards for that particular game

Too late to declare a misdeal or give him his second card.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:39 PM

Button was freerolling.

If he gets called he points out that he has only one card and tries to get a misdeal declared. The caller tries to make the bet stand, and says that he can have his card now, since it's still on top of the deck. Button gets his second card and decides whether he wants to make a larger fuss about a misdeal or reraise.

I don't know what the rule book says, but if he gets called I'd like the dealer to give him a second card and play the hand out.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Button was freerolling.

If he gets called he points out that he has only one card and tries to get a misdeal declared. The caller tries to make the bet stand, and says that he can have his card now, since it's still on top of the deck. Button gets his second card and decides whether he wants to make a larger fuss about a misdeal or reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my feeling. If he was called, he could ask for a second card. If the flop was put out, it would be a misdeal or his hand would be declared dead. When we asked the floor, she said that you need two cards to win. So, the only way he could win the pot would be to bet his opposition out of the pot if they didn't notice he had only one card. She said she would be inclined to declare his hand dead prior to the flop even if he asked for another card, but another floor man who came later said that he would still give him the card off the top and allow the hand to be played out if the one card only was declared before the flop was placed.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing and an interesting situation arose. 4 limps around to the button, played by a college age type in what now appears to be standard poker regalia (i.e., one of those brimmed knit hats (strange given it was 110 degrees outside), wrap around sunglasses, and a hooded sweatshirt). The button puts in a hefty raise. One old timer is actually paying attention and puts in an even heftier reraise. The rest of the field clears out. While the button goes "into the tank" trying to decide his next move the old timer points out that he only has one card. He asks the dealer to call the floor. The floor declared the button's hand dead and forced him to leave in the amount of his raise. Old timer takes down a big pot.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

I am young and catch a lot of flack at the table for pretty much everything, both imagined and real. In this case, I think it's warranted to point out that the guy was middle aged.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it two late to give him his second card? No additional cards have been dealt off the deck so his card is sitting right on top.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it two late to give him his second card? No additional cards have been dealt off the deck so his card is sitting right on top.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has acted on his hand. If, when the original action got to him, he said "I only have one card", I would be inclined to give him the next card and let him play the hand. But by raising/calling/betting when it is his turn, he has accepted the fact that he has one card, and hence has a dead hand.