Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Do you ever slow down here?

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ anything other than capping river

[/ QUOTE ]

At 1-2 I tend to agree with this. Most of these guys think K9 is the nuts here.

At the same time, if he is actually a decent player, check/raise call seems best. There is nothing other than 99 that a good player would go 4 bets with on the river.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:05 AM

Of course he had 99, the whole hand screams it out, from the PF raise, but no cap, to the smooth called monster flop, followed by a capped turn.

I guess the essence of my question is, is it ever OK to follow your gut, because my heart was telling me to slow down, but logic was screaming, "There is only one possible combo that beats you, carry-on!"

So I donked the river, and then faced the same dilemna when he raised it back. I guess Miles' "C/R/C" line saves me a bet, but I don't know if thats such a big deal when the pot is this big. Anyway, I stayed in there and went down swinging by throwing it back at him for 3, and saw the dreaded, slow-rolled, cap back. Of course I paid him off, but it kind of felt like spew that I didn't slow down. I take some comfort from you fine folks as the consensus seems to be that I played it correctly, or at best could have saved one bet.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course he had 99, the whole hand screams it out, from the PF raise, but no cap, to the smooth called monster flop, followed by a capped turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also screams out K9/A9 imo.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:45 PM

reckless ur post makes me think u think about these things less than optimally, everything up through the turn cap still has him with a wider range than 99 for sure... if he capped pre river would be a cap I think w/o question (maybe someone will debate this).

that said at 1-2 I dont think this decision is that big of a deal between cap or call, cr river is easily the best line compared to lead and u have to know that first of all reckless, donking is a pretty poor river line 3betting at that point is maybe worse? not sure about the latter point

I think it comes down to what u think his isolation raising range is here, if its A9o and K9s cap or call probably dont matter a ton, becuz most players at 1-2 will not hand read and 3bet the river without thinking. 99 vs A9 K9 unsuited will be 8 combos K9s maybe 1 maybe 2, so ifs its A9 and K9s ur ahead 4 or 3:1 depending on what suits are down A9s 1 or none depending on the suits in ur hand and on the board (so suits here kinda matter once u put him on a preflop iso range), either way if his range at this point is A9 and 99 capping is +EV, the only argument is if the player is good enough to know we arent raising the river with AK so he wont just play 1st level poker and 3bet A9, so I think saying lol at not capping is taking it too far and saying its a crying call a 1-2 vs most villains 3bets is taking it too far in the other direction (although OP does state he is one of the better foes) I still think most 1-2 tags just go off with a boat here tho far more than they should perhaps. I guess its a matter of perception about how to apply the math?

Basically what you should take from this thread OP is that ur river line here should be cr call or cr cap depending on what u think villain thinks of u and how he will read ur river bet, if he doesnt think A9s or AK are in ur river raising range just call if he sucks or is a maniac/ very aggro pre and postflop or 1st level thinking donk cap it.