Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: aba is my king
yers 59 60.20%
BASTARD 39 39.80%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

Marwan,

I think Bitch's Brew is Miles Davis' best work. It's really really good, but I really love long semi-improvised stuff that no one else can fathom liking, like 45 minute long Indian raags.

Totally off-topic, but seminally good music/art is a spiritual journey. I cannot understand how was originally swamp amoeba eventually came up with stuff like NMH and Picasso's Guernica, thats just totally nuts, liking having a concept of God as some Dude in the Sky.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:09 PM

Oh, my god. The rest of Animal Collective's "Strawberry Jam" has leaked, and it's amazing.

I'm not sure anybody here likes them as much as I do, but give this a chance and don't be surprised when you love it.

EDIT: Here's a little video for the fifth track on the album, Fireworks.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard a couple of new tracks from Spoon (The Underdog & Don't Make Me A Target) and they sounded fantastic. Can't wait for July 10th.

[/ QUOTE ]

The album has leaked if you have means of getting it, and it is definitely fantastic
Old 07-05-2007, 07:38 PM

got the new interpol disc, nothing new and i don't think it's as good as turn on the bright lights, but for fans looking for new tracks it should make you happy. there are a couple good, catchy tracks on there though.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, my god. The rest of Animal Collective's "Strawberry Jam" has leaked, and it's amazing.

I'm not sure anybody here likes them as much as I do, but give this a chance and don't be surprised when you love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's quite an amazing track and i never really "got" feels.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't wait for this!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to give some Jazz a try.. I got Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" cuz it was on just about every amazon Jazz list.. It's very good, especially when multi-tabling for some reason.. anyways, what else are some essentials or albums you like?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like this album I have to recommend Medeski, Martin & Wood. I would try out 'Last Chance to Trance (Perhaps)', it's a very contemporary jazz sound.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't wait for this!

[/ QUOTE ]

TY Oink!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:47 PM

Alright, here's my opinions of some albums that have recently come out or are coming out soon:

Interpol-Our Love to Admire
After a few listens it seems like this album is only a little bit worse than antics, mainly because it doesn't have any album-making songs like Evil or Slow Hands (although I realize alot of people didn't like slow hands). The album also suffers from a few long, drawn out and frankly boring songs like the opening song and the closer that make the album uneven. Give us more of the quick-paced and escalating songs and leave off the pretentious five minute glaciers.

Architecture in Helsinki- Places Like this
Oh how I had so much excitement for this album. After In Case We Die and watching them completely upstage CYHSY in central park I really thought they could do no wrong. And that's not to say this is a bad album, because it's not. But what made In Case We Die so awesome was the different genres the band touched and the sense that the songs could change directions at any time. On a few of the tracks AIH tries to keep it basic with dominating baselines and sparse instrumentation. DON"T DO THAT AIH, I'm BEGGING YOU! In Case We Die was one of the most awesome songs I've ever had the pleasure of listening to, and it's because the song changes directions about a billion times to create this awesome roller-coaster ride of a song. More songs like "like it ar not" and less "Underwater" and this album would be better than In Case We Die.

Cliff Notes: everybody who likes AIH will enjoy this album, I just don't think it's on par with their last album.

Okkervil River- The Stage Names:
I was starting to get worried when after three songs there was no sign of the fragile songs that dominated black sheep boy. But I guess he waited until after he wrote the third song to break up with his girlfriend, because the okkervil river we all know and love shows up on Savannah Smiles, the fourth album on the track. I liked this album as much as black sheep boy, which is to say it's a great album when you're in an okkervil river mood (hope you guys know what I mean). The closing track "John Allyn Smith Sails" absolutely kicks ass.

Spoon- Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
I've listened to this album the least out of the rest, just because i've had a ton of stuff to listen to. So while i'm not prepared to give this a really definitive opinion, what i've heard has been really good. I mean, who doesn't like spoon?

Animal Collective- Strawberry Jam
Everything you've heard about this album is true. It's an absolutely amazing album that deserves a ton of praise which I'm sure it will receive when it's released. Probably the most accessible animal collective album they've released, although that doesn't mean they've cut back on the random screaming outbreaks we're used to. I think they'll gain a lot more fans with this album, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them live in the fall.

I've still got a few more albums to listen to like the new Blitzen Trapper and Dizzee's Maths and English(wtf to no US release?), and still waiting on the new wolf parade and sunset rubdown cd's.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, here's my opinions of some albums that have recently come out or are coming out soon:

Interpol-Our Love to Admire
After a few listens it seems like this album is only a little bit worse than antics, mainly because it doesn't have any album-making songs like Evil or Slow Hands (although I realize alot of people didn't like slow hands). The album also suffers from a few long, drawn out and frankly boring songs like the opening song and the closer that make the album uneven. Give us more of the quick-paced and escalating songs and leave off the pretentious five minute glaciers.

Architecture in Helsinki- Places Like this
Oh how I had so much excitement for this album. After In Case We Die and watching them completely upstage CYHSY in central park I really thought they could do no wrong. And that's not to say this is a bad album, because it's not. But what made In Case We Die so awesome was the different genres the band touched and the sense that the songs could change directions at any time. On a few of the tracks AIH tries to keep it basic with dominating baselines and sparse instrumentation. DON"T DO THAT AIH, I'm BEGGING YOU! In Case We Die was one of the most awesome songs I've ever had the pleasure of listening to, and it's because the song changes directions about a billion times to create this awesome roller-coaster ride of a song. More songs like "like it ar not" and less "Underwater" and this album would be better than In Case We Die.

Cliff Notes: everybody who likes AIH will enjoy this album, I just don't think it's on par with their last album.

Okkervil River- The Stage Names:
I was starting to get worried when after three songs there was no sign of the fragile songs that dominated black sheep boy. But I guess he waited until after he wrote the third song to break up with his girlfriend, because the okkervil river we all know and love shows up on Savannah Smiles, the fourth album on the track. I liked this album as much as black sheep boy, which is to say it's a great album when you're in an okkervil river mood (hope you guys know what I mean). The closing track "John Allyn Smith Sails" absolutely kicks ass.

Spoon- Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
I've listened to this album the least out of the rest, just because i've had a ton of stuff to listen to. So while i'm not prepared to give this a really definitive opinion, what i've heard has been really good. I mean, who doesn't like spoon?

Animal Collective- Strawberry Jam
Everything you've heard about this album is true. It's an absolutely amazing album that deserves a ton of praise which I'm sure it will receive when it's released. Probably the most accessible animal collective album they've released, although that doesn't mean they've cut back on the random screaming outbreaks we're used to. I think they'll gain a lot more fans with this album, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them live in the fall.

I've still got a few more albums to listen to like the new Blitzen Trapper and Dizzee's Maths and English(wtf to no US release?), and still waiting on the new wolf parade and sunset rubdown cd's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good summary of these albums. I'm a big fan of the new Spoon album that just came out. Also, I'm digging the new Easy Tiger by Ryan Adams - if you like him, it's probably better than par for the course. If you hate him, well there's still some good alt country on there. Any fan of Neil Young's vocals will appreciate about half of this album.
Closed Thread