Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Annie Duke Interview Controversy regarding Ladies WSOP event.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, seems Jeffery Pollack has weighed in about weather or not the the Ladies WSOP event will remain a bracelet event in his blog over here:

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ Annie Duke about the implications that the women's event has to the women's lib movement. I am also in favor of keeping the event in the WSOP, mainly because people like you (big dummies) just don't get it. Your boyfriend/husband really needs to step in here and tell you how to think properly.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:01 PM

Didnt Annies biggest win come from the fact that shes a woman. No way she\d be in the invitational 10 man sng without a pair of boobs... I\d like to see her give phil h. those 2 mill. then i\ll respect her lol.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At times, I find Annie Duke to be a know it all and over bearing, yet I think her logic is sound on the opinions she has expressed and she certainly has the right to express them. I don't think she is attempting to speak for all women; rather she is trying to compel women to see the validity of her argument. This is her right and regardless of whether I like her or agree with her, I vigorously defend her right to do so.

I have to question the OPs ability to listen and comprehend when she couldn't even discern that Duke was being sarcastic when Duke said Doyle needed the senior’s only event to be successful in the modern poker world.

It just shows how little people pay attention and tend to hear what they want to hear.

As far as the women’s only event being degrading, I think that is a bit of an over the top description. It can be a gateway for woman to develop the confidence to play in other events, so I'm not convinced it needs to be removed nor do I really care. However, I don't think it’s as prestigious to win this event since the field is effectively cut in half.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say you got me on that point, that's for sure. I have to say I did let others influence me there, as I thought she was indeed at first being sarcastic, but then I had others of my friends who have met her, say she really felt that way (about Doyle). Thus I allowed it to influence my opinion.

I don't really know her personally, so I will give her the benifit of the doubt there that if she was being sarcastic there, so be it.

As for throwing out everything I said simply because of that one statement, well, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

A person who can take what they think is 99 percent bunk and gleam the 1 percent of truth out of something, and learn and grow from it, then that person can become a very wise and perhaps rich person.

For instance, as much as I disagree with Annie, one thing I do agree with Annie, is that we do need as women, more of a presence in the other events. However, that said, getting rid of the WSOP WOE event, isn't IMO going to make that many more women play in the other events either. There are other issues preventing women from playing in those other (mixed) events.

This as I also think in addition to lack of confidence for beginning women players, that finacial concerns are indeed a huge factor why we are not seeing women in those (mixed) events.

I mean Annie has sponsors, most women do not.

What ticks me off the most, is Annie presuming to speak for me and women as a whole, and forcing her views on us with her actions and her saying she's working actively to remove the Ladies WSOP event from the WSOP roster.

If you think about it, she's acting JUST like the US government is when it comes to how they screwed us when it comes to Online poker (or even online gambling period) access.

Uncle Sam says online gambling is baaaaddd for us, so they took steps by passing bad laws to fix it so we can't do it or do it as much as we want to.

IMO, Annie is doing the same exact thing. Just because she thinks the event is degrading in HER opionion, she's now using her positon on the WSOP player advisory board, to work to ban the event for all women for 'their best interests' or some crap like that.

I also still find it hypocritical that she of all people who wrote in her book (if true as another poster in this thread has stated, because I've not actually read her book myself) that she got her start in the poker world in a Ladies WSOP, yet wants to now fix it so other women can't do that.

In addition if she really feels that way, then she should not be teaching a women's only poker acadamy seminar either, given her views.

She should be instead encouraging women to be attending mixed poker acadamy classes, and speak to both men and women about how to play against the opposite gender.

She's more than welcome to have her views, but at the same time she shouldn't be working to screw it up for the women who enjoy and want to have a WOE at the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I vigorously defend your right to express your opinion as well.

For what it’s worth, I think the ladies event is firmly in tact and not currently at risk of being removed.

I think you just need to make your arguments more compelling because I assure you there are a lot of people who have negative opinions of Annie yet many of them defended her points. Get your facts straight and make your argument more persuasive and I think you will be able to sway many to your side, at least in terms of keeping the Ladies Event.

Apparently 1,286 ladies are on your side already
Old 06-14-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didnt Annies biggest win come from the fact that shes a woman. No way she\d be in the invitational 10 man sng without a pair of boobs... I\d like to see her give phil h. those 2 mill. then i\ll respect her lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. That was an invitation-only event. Annie's never said that women shouldn't benefit from affirmative action in invitational events. She just said that womens-only events shouldn't get bracelets because since they're not open to everybody, they're not true world championship events.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In her book, Annie Duke claims her first wsop event was a womens event. Not sure if she cashed or not, Hendon Mob has no record of it.

However, if we go only by what she says, then apparently starting in a womens event helped launch her into poker. I guess she now feels other females should be denied such an opportunity?

[/ QUOTE ]

The lack of rational argument in this thread makes me wonder how some of you win at poker.

Jackie robinson started his baseball career in the negro leagues before moving on to MLB. clearly, the negro leagues were not degrading, and we should keep them around so that african americans have a place to practice before they step up to the big leagues with white people.

Also, the fact that Annie teaches a women only poker class is not hypocritical. A women only class has nothing to do with whether or not a WOE is degrading. Just as it's not degrading to have a Black Pride meeting, and then protest a segregated school or something similar.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If there was a gay series of poker, that would be wrong, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe it's called Poker Superstars.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:51 PM

I was just on the official WSOP website checking the results of the PLO (Selbst in top 10) and i noticed that in the official advertisement for the ladies only events they use a full ad pic of Annie Duke...

http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/to...mp;groupID=309
Old 06-15-2007, 12:08 AM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
The lack of rational argument in this thread makes me wonder how some of you win at poker.

Jackie robinson started his baseball career in the negro leagues before moving on to MLB. clearly, the negro leagues were not degrading, and we should keep them around so that african americans have a place to practice before they step up to the big leagues with white people.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. okay.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:29 AM

4 women have final tabled so far this WSOP. Kathy Liebert would be #5 if she makes it through tonight.
They need their own event. And Annie Duke doesn't have to enter if she doesn't want to.
The WSOP should offer flight B events. All past winners would be barred from flight B events.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:52 AM

Well, Cindy, you really got them going with this thread. Since I've already posted my views on this twice in the past week, I won't go into detail again except to say that
1. I agree with Annie on this one as you know. If people want to organize women's events and women want to participate, that's fine but there shouldn't be a bracelet event that excludes anyone.
2. How could you possibly think she was serious with the comment about Doyle????
3. And in Jeffrey's blog he made a very important statement which is wrong - "The beauty of the WSOP is that anyone can enter and anyone can win, and Sally proved that fact again tonight." Not everyone could enter the event that Sally won. Sure it was nice for her but when she shows off her bracelet, do you think she'll say "well, it was just the ladies event".