Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Were you going to pay the $10 for live stats on Yahoo?
Yes, what fun is it without live stats? 18 66.67%
No, I'll just check in Monday and see if I won or lost 7 25.93%
I'm not sure. 2 7.41%
Just show me the results / I'm not in the league 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: ~~~ OFFICIAL YANKEES 2007 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS OR BUST THREAD ~~

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

well, when you keep putting men on base game after game... they will eventually score

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees lead the Majors in runs scored. That's despite only being 7th in 0PS, 8th in SLG, 5th in OBP, and 4th in AVG. Could they actually be running good?

I couldn't find any team LOB stats. They're only 18th (better than average) in GIDP.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was more my sense of it. really, it's a result of a-rod's ridiculous start. not getting men home reminds me of late in 2005 when it felt like no one could hit with 2 outs - the yankees aren't getting men on base enough.

the lineup is suffering variance, but part of it is due to injury, and when you remove that and look at the ridiculous variance enjoyed by posada and mzzywyzcz lately, it seems to come out about even in my mind.

not to say this is a .500 team - it isn't. but this team does not hit home runs anymore. some guys will get healthier and almost all of them will play better - posada will fall off, jeter less so.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:19 PM

Yanks have had 8 on through 6 today, which isn't that great I suppose. The LOB number is deceivingly low due to the DPs.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:26 PM

I wanted them to pull Garland after the Minky double but Abreu got out before they could get to the mound.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
its pretty wild that Joe's last year here will be when we don't even make the playoffs

[/ QUOTE ]

giving up when the yanks are obviously running bad in may?

ok. if you wanna be like that.

go root for the cubs or something

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless we sweep the sox in our upcoming series we can't count on "the Yankee mystique" getting us to overcome a 10+ game hole in the division. The Sox are really solid while we are really shaky this year..I don't see them going on any huge losing streaks and us going on a hot streak at the same time.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:11 PM

I haven't been interested in Yankee threads this year for this reason. Even my fun with my Yankee-fan friends this year isn't as cool.

Part of the joy was the fact that the Yankees were the best, and it was neat when they would lose from time to time. It just isn't the case anymore. They're barely the second best team in the East.

I'm not rooting for them to turn it around, but it would at least make for more enjoyable ribbing back and forth with the guys.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:09 PM

one break for the yankees next week is they will miss both matsuzaka and beckett (likely anyways).

should be wakefield v wang
moose - schilling
pettite - gabbard/tavarez outside shot of beckett i guess.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:55 PM

Fellow Yankee fans: This is not a slump. It's a quarter of the season and we suck. The offense has been putrid the past week: we've given up just 17 runs in 6 games and lost four of them. Matsui did well yesterday, and then killed two rallies today. Now that A-Rod has stopped hitting home runs, nobody is. Only Jeter and Posada have been hitting the ball well day in and day out. Five save opportunites in 39 games is a mark of how badly the team has played.

The Red Sox have a markedly superior team.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fellow Yankee fans: This is not a slump. It's a quarter of the season and we suck. The offense has been putrid the past week: we've given up just 17 runs in 6 games and lost four of them. Matsui did well yesterday, and then killed two rallies today. Now that A-Rod has stopped hitting home runs, nobody is. Only Jeter and Posada have been hitting the ball well day in and day out. Five save opportunites in 39 games is a mark of how badly the team has played.

The Red Sox have a markedly superior team.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, but injuries happen - who knows, maybe the sox get some injuries too. i don't know why the yankees' home run power is gone - giambi's still a big bat, and most of the lineup was still good for 10+. Hell, Damon hit 20 last year.

these next six games should show where the yankees are. if they can go 4-2, and win some of these games easily, i'll have some confidence.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:14 PM

Their best opportunity is to be the wild card. Here are the projected triple crown numbers for the season for some of their starters:

Giambi 23 81 .273
Matsui 12 107 .287
Damon 10 62 .256
Abreu 8 87 .236
Cabrera 10 62 .232
Cano 4 70 .234
Mientkiwicz 13 48 .225

I guess the good news is that some of these guys can't get much worse. While they're still (I believe) leading the league in runs scored, it's been three guys responsible for most of the offense (Posada, Jeter, A-Rod), and only one guy driving the ball out of the park (and he's, understandably, cooled off).

As a team, they just look so hapless. The only starter I have confidence in is Pettitte, and nobody in the bullpen inspires me.

I'm hoping against hope I'm wrong, but this team looks bad.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:25 PM

andy -

you can't expect all these guys to struggle as they have. cano is a .300 hitter, cabrera should be hitting closer to .270, abreu .300 - matsui should have a little more power, along with most of these other guys.

when hughes and clemens arrive our staff will be better.