Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Crysis Demo

Not sure how many people in OOT are gamers, but for those that are...

This game will have something others won't, it will have replayability. I could sit here for hours having the time of my life even if every enemy on the map were to inexplicably dissapear. You won't understand how absolutely fantastic this game is on your first, second, or third demo run-through, nor if you are running this on lower than high-settings (DX10).

I cannot fathom how someone can have the opinion that this game isn't revolutionary. This is, simply put, the one of the largest jumps in gaming software that I've been witness to. The attention to detail here is surreal, every aspect of it is undeniably well designed. Take a jeep on a trip through the forest, ramming down brush, trees, and bushes. It's an experience that is amazingly lifelike from the physics, textures, to the way the limbs slide off the windshield.

I'm SCUBA certified, and everything about the ocean is how it should be. The water refracts perfectly in shallow water, the sand/coral textures are spot on, the fish are more than satisfactory. Once you get deeper, it gets darker and the vegetation changes as it drops off. I mean this is a first-person shooter not an underwater simulation, yet, there it is...

There has no game with perfect AI, not yet at least, and for some games AI is the achilles heel for what would be an otherwise excellent title (Total War series comes to mind). The AI in Crysis has flaws, but holy shi* I'll be damned if those little Korean dudes aren't smarter than some of my friends. There's no more omniscient soldiers here, ones that will automatically know your location through 10 layers of brush. You can crawl up to one (without active camouflage) through the grass and sit there less than a pace from him.
Imagine sitting on a road, shooting down at a village with a .50 on a jeep, and the AI instead of bustling down the road, like a bipolar leming, will actually squad up and proceed straight into the forest. Then when several grenades go off right next to you, it's the crazy little Koreans behind the bushes.

I'm sure everyone has seen the graphics, and yes they look 'that' good. I'd also like to add that I never thought shooting down trees could possibly be all that fun...but surprisingly it is. Part of it has to do with being able to use those fallen trees as cover so you can crawl right up to some crazy Korean base... It's also pretty satisfying to grab some dude by the neck, and throw him into a wall and have the entire building collapse and kill everyone inside.

This game is the next best thing since sliced bread, and it really has little to do with story, or gameplay, or any traditional elements (all of which you really can't tell from a demo). It has to do with just how exceptional the environment is, it is a true sandbox.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Crysis Demo

I'd love to tear in.

If it didn't mean spending at least another $1300 to upgrade my computer in order to play it well enough.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:38 PM

Some screenshots from someone else running the game in DX9.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1235064
Old 10-30-2007, 04:41 PM

Wooly - may I ask what system specs you were running? I was able to run it on medium ish specs with DX9, no anti-aliasing though. I've got a 256 mb ati x1950XT and a 4600+ dual core AMD processor.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:53 PM

e6600 8800gtx 2g ram vista

try dropping the resolution down to 12x10, and turn everything to high.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:21 PM

Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM

Truly does look unbelievably g00t.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:12 PM

This is what happens when you play Mike Tyson's punchout for too long.

or...

lol nucleartankaments

or...

Hiroshama ---> that way.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:51 PM

Sooooooo much stuff and it's a demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg37m3QjL4Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzLteu0mT8Y