Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: The hardest spot in micro stakes poker? JJ from the SB

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think about preflop? And what hands, if any, would you check here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Balance it the key word

Ask your self first what good hands you would check here ... and how you would play those in a spot like this, then do it with trash once in a rare while too.

This is not trash, but ... ehh .... I had a long argument with the artist formerly know as jonyy about spots like these, where he advocated checking and I said bet.

Oop I like betting, ip ... you can check behing for potcontrol and value extraction, that is my pow.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:10 PM

quick glance and giving him a range of 55+, AJo+ (since many TAGs call 3bets with PPs liberally), it looks like there are probably are around 40 combos or so that he might continue with Ax, AA, TT and probably 30 or 40 he'll fold. So I guess bet 1/2 pot. should be profitable. but i always check here, so i probably have no idea what i'm doing (i.e., don't listen to me).
Old 10-27-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What do you think about preflop? And what hands, if any, would you check here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Balance it the key word

Ask your self first what good hands you would check here ... and how you would play those in a spot like this, then do it with trash once in a rare while too.

This is not trash, but ... ehh .... I had a long argument with the artist formerly know as jonyy about spots like these, where he advocated checking and I said bet.

Oop I like betting, ip ... you can check behing for potcontrol and value extraction, that is my pow.

[/ QUOTE ]i so knew u would chime in and respond to this thread
Old 10-27-2007, 05:18 PM

Yeah after having the argument with jonyy, we repeated it by pm .... tho if this post wasn't started by Andrew, I most likely wouldn't have read it [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quick glance and giving him a range of 55+, AJo+ (since many TAGs call 3bets with PPs liberally), it looks like there are probably are around 40 combos or so that he might continue with Ax, AA, TT and probably 30 or 40 he'll fold. So I guess bet 1/2 pot. should be profitable. but i always check here, so i probably have no idea what i'm doing (i.e., don't listen to me).

[/ QUOTE ]

if it's 50/50 that he'll fold than a full pot bet should be profitable so it's ok to bet 3/4 of the pot.

But I don't see anything wrong with betting half pot as you suggested. The pot is big because of the pf 3bet so it's unlikely he'll bluff or continue with worse than JJ.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:33 PM

as for checking the flop, the only thing that speaks for a check is the fact that our opponent is good and he should read us for JJ, QQ, KK. So I can see myself checking AK, TT against him if I thought he might try to bluff me.

To do this with JJ would mean to give him credit to be able to look through our check as it being a tricky move with a monster. I think we are getting too sofisticated here for microlimits though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

so my default line would still be to allways bet the flop.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:36 PM

My game is TAGgy 23/17 ish and I think preflops not too great.

Yes sometimes we gots to raise (whether we should raise or not I think has more to do with recent table history than much else) but more often than not I flat call and reeval after the flop drops.

Sometimes he's stealing or at least raising the bottom part of his range (the part we are WA of) and a 3bet folds these hands often. He'll call with hands we are slightly ahead of (AK/AQ/etc) which will land us OOP in an inflated pot having to fire blind into the villain and when an overcard to our pair flops we are in downtown RIO and will win a little or lose a stack.

IF the villain who open raised tends to call 3bets and fold to flop aggression I am ore inclined to 3bet pre - my standard play is to call and keep the pot small - I'd guess I 3bet ~30% and call the rest.

Seeing as we did raise and we are here now I think we have to make a bet and rep AK and to do that 1/2 pot is the way forward - fold to further aggro unless we spike the set cos a meowchow TAG villain here is rarely calling/raising our flop bet with a hand that TPGK would beat (and we have less than that)

My line with pairs ike TT/JJ here is to play them pretty much the same way I'd play 22/33
Old 10-27-2007, 05:38 PM

Yeah I often flatcall JJ here as well, tho it depends on villian, if he is raising a lot in lp, then I'm just looking to felt JJ.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:42 PM

I think betting $7 is weak. You are repping AK, and that means you need to bet at $9 or more with this board.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:44 PM

it is a RR's pot, betting 7$ is treatening villians entire stack!

The only reason for betting 9 is the FD and a need to protect your AK a wee bit.

But it is in no way weak.