Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Theory: Building a pot with overcalls instead of raises.

This only applies to multi-way pots.

Not going to make a real fletched out theory post, but just bringing up a concept. Full-ring plays entirely different from shorthanded play, and this is due to the fact that there are far more multi-way pots and also many more sets.

Most decent players can find a fold with TPTK/overpair hands such as AA/AK on a Kxx board in a multiway pot when facing a raise, and although game theory would imply that you should bluff (and semi-bluff) more when given this much respect the fact that full-ring is a bunch of set-mining koala bears, it makes it difficult to make a move when the person behind you can easily have bottom set.

Here's a hand that was played tonight:
A fairly deep 5/5 NL game.

Several limpers to the CO who makes it $45.

5 people to the flop.
K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

The BB leads for $200. UTG flat calls with bottom set on the dangerous board, in part to get overcalls behind him to build the pot without setting off alarm bells to the BB. The PFR ended up overcalling, setting UTG up for a turn push with a bloated pot.

MSNL sentiment would show the opinion that UTG misplayed his hand, and should definitely raise on such a dangerous board, but the more hands I get in at FR the more I'm starting to disagree. It's an entirely different beast, it's a bunch of nut-peddlers and dumbasses who pay off the nut-peddlers.

Both BB and the PFR were good players, and both would've laid down their hands (they both had AK) had there been a raise. UTG definitely maximized his value in this instance.

To fastplay a set and get action, you also have to fastplay your draws. However, I almost never raise the NFD in UTG's position because you want the overcalls, or smaller flush draws in the pot.
A combo draw would be the only draw that I raise from UTG's position.

So assuming a good player raises from UTG's position with people behind him to act, he basically turns his hand face up and that's the problem.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Theory: Building a pot with overcalls instead of raises.

[ QUOTE ]

MSNL sentiment would show the opinion that UTG misplayed his hand, and should definitely raise on such a dangerous board

[/ QUOTE ]

uhm no.

I think UTG played his hand well assuming the stacks were <1.5k
Old 10-02-2007, 08:34 AM

i think this theory has a ton of flaws, but for the most part, it's very effective when you have a set against TPTK, or overpairs, and you're dealing with people that are capable of folding (as stated by OP). with that said, this type of play is standard in live play vs. regular TAG grinders who make a living playing live poker. they always just call with sets. i don't think there's anything new or revealing here... i would just stress that this is only effective in maximizing value vs. a player(s) that you're certain would otherwise just fold. obv. you can only win what you put in, and unless at some point you're willing to start getting monies in with sets. etc...you're never going to win big. personally, i only employ this kind of strategy when i'm trying to bring along a couple of people to v-town in a multiway pot, otherwise, i would def. advocate getting as much monies in as possible in these pots. i think in the long run, it's way more profitable.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:31 PM

This is known as slowplaying, and it's ok to do from time to time. typically fastplaying in these spots (especially shorthanded) get the money into the pot though, which is why that is preferred.