Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Ryan benches Solo for consolation game at WWC

[ QUOTE ]
Ryan is fired after this anyway, he might as well get his revenge here.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL
nh sir
Old 09-29-2007, 09:10 PM

she definitely should have put more emphasis about how her coach was a retard and not put down scurry's performance, but her venting in this situation is pretty much completely understandable and justified

coaching blunders this obviously misguided are enough to get you fired as a girl's high school soccer coach, that this occurred during the world cup is beyond ridiculous (although likely a telling indication of just how low on the sports totem pole women's soccer actually is)
Old 09-29-2007, 09:14 PM

From what I understand, it was such an awful decision, that people could easily suggest that he was gambling on the game. And his alibi was that Scurry did well against Brasil 3 years ago so it was a hunch, or whatever.

But for reals, yo. Is this tool betting against his team here?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:22 PM

That coach looks like a nice guy, but he is dumb as [censored].
Old 09-29-2007, 09:27 PM

I'm sorry, I haven't really been following the issue but is this whole thing based on these comments?

[ QUOTE ]

"It was the wrong decision, and I think anybody that knows anything about the game knows that. There's no doubt in my mind I would have made those saves. ... You have to live in the present. And you can't live by big names. You can't live in the past."

[/ QUOTE ]

If so, I think this is a pretty big pile of BS and the coach should probably be fired for being such a moron. She hasn't let a goal in, in 300 minutes? But he benches her in favor of someone who beat the other team 8 years ago?

Ya she probably shouldn't have made it sound like she was blaming the goaltender but I'm pretty sure her intent is clear there.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:31 PM

Hope was right about the coaching decision, but wrong in throwing her teammate under the bus. The last thing you need when you screw up is to have a teammate kick you when you're down.

This is a revenge-based move by Ryan. Benching Hope for Scurry will results in him not getting his job back. It was a horrible decision that contributed to the US losing the game.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:32 PM

What she said was both harsh and true. Benching her probably has to happen, but the coach is a total [censored] for doing what he did. I sympathize with her.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:40 PM

i think she should be benched for this game based on her post game comments alone. i sympathized w/her b/f her outlash after the game, now i think she's just a brat. imo calling out a teammate like that is unacceptable and even if she really meant to go after the coach, teams are supposed to handle these things behind closed doors.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was a horrible decision that contributed to the US losing the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not get carried away here. Obv I didn't watch the game, it was Womens soccer, but I read that the first goal was really hard to stop (it was an own goal.) After that, second goal I heard was hard as well, but 3rd and 4th were bad or w/e.

But, basically, Brazil outplayed US in every aspect and US didn't look good the whole WC because they're playing with such crap tactics. I actually watched some of the group stages (Sportscenter got canceled in favor of this, and I have to watch something while eating breakfast,) and US was basically playing long ball strategy, which is absolutely horrendous considering the talent they have on that team.

Brazil, meanwhile, played really good with tactical passes and moved the ball around really good ( I heard.) So, possession = in favor of Brazil, and basically if that happens, whoever keeps goal doesn't really ever matter.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:41 PM

If Mike Brown had benched LeBron in a game 7 of this past NBA Finals because he had some gut instinct that Eric Snow was due for a breakout game, what do you think LeBron would have said after the game when (a) the series was over, and (b) he was certain that Brown was about to get fired?

The US coach made an obscenely stupid decision, and his team got outsted from the World Cup in part because of that decision. Solo was accurate with everything she said - she'd certainly not have let in all 4 of those goals, and who knows how the complexion of the game changes when the first one's saved - and she certainly didn't owe the coach anything after he'd benched her from the most important game of her life for no logical or defensible reason.

Absolutely classless to dime out a teammate publicly after she played awfully...but that doesn't change that Ryan's about to get fired and Solo will be starting every game for the US for the foreseeable future. Benching her for the Bronze game is pure spite.

If Ryan wants his best chance to win the game, he plays Solo. He has another agenda that doesn't line up with that, so he won't.