Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Laughs or Links!

Old 08-30-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: 58% of French People are dumber than Ms. Teen SC

the "finding stupider american clip" idea is a bit skewed, i know of one even stupider than this from are you smarter than 5th grader and from price is right. you need to examine the gameshow, some gameshows, most now days aim to get stupid people, people the general audiance can relate to. if you are gonna use this example, make sure its one where the screening process is on the level with millionaire
Old 08-30-2007, 10:00 PM

How did a crowd of moderately intelligent kids with higher than average understanding of probability and variance manage to turn a clip from a game show into a comparison of two nations?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did a crowd of moderately intelligent kids with higher than average understanding of probability and variance manage to turn a clip from a game show into a comparison of two nations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Autocratic,

Go back and read some posts about sample size. It's not like I'm saying 1 american is less dumb than 1 frenchie. there were a couple HUNDRED people in that audience and MORE THAN HALF of them are dumb.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You mean you couldnt go point by point, right?

Just respond by saying "yeah, its obviously here as a joke and shouldnt try to be representative of France as a whole".

Also, wasnt the woman with the elephant/moon question proven to be a photoshop somewhere, as kinda proven by the fact its a picture and not a video.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A, At least they can articulate a sentence, i mean the guy was wrong, but at least he didnt utter complete gibberish for 20 seconds

[/ QUOTE ]

so at least the french are efficient in their idiocy?

[ QUOTE ]
B, Most of the audience probably picked the wrong answer on purpose, i know i would have

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm no. this is what my little brother says. unfortunately, the audience is housewives. which leads us to

[ QUOTE ]
C, Whilst you could argue 58% of the audience of WWTBAM got it wrong, they are clearly not a representative sample and probably represents the bottom 5% of the countries intelligence

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd actually say that people that can take the time from their day to go to a taping like this, most people dressed nicely, and interested in this show, have at least a general education, and I'd wager are smarter than average. Granted, there are probably no scholars in the audience, but its not exactly homeless retards.

[ QUOTE ]
D, All of mankind thought that for most of its history

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. yeah but nobody in the audience was alive when this was the belief.

[ QUOTE ]
E, That question is harder than picking your country out on a map of the world

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. maps are not intuitive. also, it was only 20%. 58% of the people [censored] this up. also, who knows where they got this 20% figure. obviously not being able to pick out the US is sad, but an unmarked map can be confusing. for a more difficult challenge, try one of those state placement on a blank map games. you think you know where states are, but when its blank, its tough.

[ QUOTE ]
F, If i look through all American TV gameshows im sure i could find dumber examples

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you could. On WWTBAM though, I've seen Americans get things wrong, but not one this easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

OWNED.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You mean you couldnt go point by point, right?

Just respond by saying "yeah, its obviously here as a joke and shouldnt try to be representative of France as a whole".

Also, wasnt the woman with the elephant/moon question proven to be a photoshop somewhere, as kinda proven by the fact its a picture and not a video.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A, At least they can articulate a sentence, i mean the guy was wrong, but at least he didnt utter complete gibberish for 20 seconds

[/ QUOTE ]

so at least the french are efficient in their idiocy?

[/ QUOTE ]

One could easily argue that forming a coherant even if grammatically incorrect sentence is a much more important measure of intelligence than general knowledge. Plus, 100% of Americans cant spell colour correctly. Thats quite saddening when you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
B, Most of the audience probably picked the wrong answer on purpose, i know i would have

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm no. this is what my little brother says. unfortunately, the audience is housewives. which leads us to

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, i would have because the only reason ive ever watched shows like this is to laugh at people being retarded. Deal or no Deal was fun a for a while for that very factor (oooh, i can feel the £250k is in the box in front of me).

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
C, Whilst you could argue 58% of the audience of WWTBAM got it wrong, they are clearly not a representative sample and probably represents the bottom 5% of the countries intelligence

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd actually say that people that can take the time from their day to go to a taping like this, most people dressed nicely, and interested in this show, have at least a general education, and I'd wager are smarter than average. Granted, there are probably no scholars in the audience, but its not exactly homeless retards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i could probably say the exact opposite based on the lack of evidence we have. But generally who has time or willingness to go to the filming of something like this? Im sure any way you look at it the average person in any TV audience is less intelligent than people in general.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. yeah but nobody in the audience was alive when this was the belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, obviously.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. maps are not intuitive. also, it was only 20%. 58% of the people [censored] this up. also, who knows where they got this 20% figure. obviously not being able to pick out the US is sad, but an unmarked map can be confusing. for a more difficult challenge, try one of those state placement on a blank map games. you think you know where states are, but when its blank, its tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Id probably get a few of the states, but being from the UK i wouldnt do to great id imagine.

I cant think of anything more amazing than a nation like USA which takes great pride in its national identity not knowing where its country is on a map. It really isnt difficult.

Plus im sure the question posed in the poll was less open to stupid misinterpretation than "what rotates around the Earth". Again, at no point am i saying its justifyable for anyone to get either question wrong, but i think picking out the US on a map is not only easier but more important.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
F, If i look through all American TV gameshows im sure i could find dumber examples

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you could. On WWTBAM though, I've seen Americans get things wrong, but not one this easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many many reasons why. Variance of people on the show is a good one. Questions chosen are another. Its such an easy given of a question that most wouldnt ever choose to put it on the show, even if it is the £100 question. If you ask this exact question to a group of Americans, im sure more than 0% would get it wrong.[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]

Autocratic,

Go back and read some posts about sample size. It's not like I'm saying 1 american is less dumb than 1 frenchie. there were a couple HUNDRED people in that audience and MORE THAN HALF of them are dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are more than 300 million Americans in the USA and 1/5th cant pick out their country on a blank map.

Id wager a fair bit of money that the poll in question is closer to representative than the WWTBAM audience was.

-----

Im kinda done arguing here, ive pretty much said all i want to. If anyone wants to debate my other point about France being correct in their choices before the Iraq invation we can go another round - but my guess is you wont for obvious reasons.

To go for a wider context of how dumb the US is:

[ QUOTE ]
According to a 2007 Gallup poll,[56] about 43% of Americans believe that "God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Only 14% believe that "humans being have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this process."

[/ QUOTE ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism#United_States
Old 08-30-2007, 11:23 PM

Phill S,

I'm not going to read that enormous post, but A+ for effort.

I'm sure it took some time to type that out.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im kinda done arguing here

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankfully.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:26 PM

Nah, i type fast.

Cliff notes:
Lol at Americans not believing in Evolution, everything else is filler.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:28 PM

lol at the little "colour" line, that is just a remarkably stupid point, certain words have different accepted spellings. look in the oxford english dictionary, i'll guarantee that color is listed as an acceptable alternate spelling of colour. people always get pissed at americans for being ignorant of other cultures, but that line is just as bad
Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

When you find a poll which is representative enough to have conclusions drawn from it ill agree the French are stupider than you yanks. But it wont happen. Plus, they were right about Iraq in EVERY way and you STILL hate your oldest ally for it. You guys are stupid in ways us Europeans will never be.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was going to go point by point but decided itd be easier to just say that you have constructed possibly the worst argument ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

/thread