Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 11:43 AM

Default King high straight flush draw facing a big raise

This is $20 Cap table, so if I call $14 the betting is over.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $35.70
UTG+1: $36
CO: $52.55
Button: $38.25
SB: $80.45
Hero: $46.70

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $1</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($5, 5 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $19</font>, Hero ????

Edit: This is an Omaha/8 hand--Andy B
Old 02-08-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: King high straight flush draw facing a big raise

Oops wrong forum!

Feel free to respond anyway
Old 02-08-2007, 11:52 AM

If only the straight flush wins for you then you cannot play it as you have been priced out.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If only the straight flush wins for you then you cannot play it as you have been priced out.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is getting 2:1 with implied odds of taking the villains stack which is 3x the size of his flop bet - AND the SB is out of position. I'm calling - even if its wrong (I am a pot limit/nl fish - not enough experience to know if I am even remotely right).

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2007, 12:19 PM

Looks like a set, don't it? A double-gut draw isn't as big in Omaha as it is in HE, but it's a good draw with the flush cards. Queens will beat a set but lose to broadway, non-club Eights and the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] give you the nuts on the turn, but a paired board means you're drawing to one card (q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) on the river.

I wouldn't go crazy with your hand, but the cap prevents you from going crazy, so I'd call. You have the same drawing advantage as if you were all-in (you're guaranteed to see the river) but it doesn't cost you as much if you don't make it. The cap makes this particular hand play differently than normal pot-limit.

But yeah, wrong forum.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:52 PM

If anyone is interested, here's the outcome.

In retrospect it was a bad call since I figured one of them had to have the nut flush draw, but since it was $20 cap I went ahead and called and sucked out on both of them.

After running the odds, though, I discovered that I was actually ahead of the guy with the nut flush draw and both of us were far behind the guy with 2 pair.

Omaha Hi/Low 8-or-better: 666 enumerated boards containing Jc 9c 6d
cards scoop HIwin HIlos HItie LOwin LOlos LOtie EV
7s Kc Tc Ah 162 211 455 0 9 93 0 0.287
3s Ac 5c Qd 113 128 538 0 167 0 0 0.261
8c 2c Jh 6h 263 327 339 0 12 77 0 0.452

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $35.70
UTG+1: $36
CO: $52.55
Button: $38.25
SB: $80.45
Hero: $46.70

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $1</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($5, 5 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $19</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($62, 3 players)

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($62, 3 players)

Results:
Final pot: $62
<font color="#ffffff">SB showed Ac 3s Qd 5c</font>
<font color="#ffffff">Hero showed Tc Kc Ah 7s</font>
<font color="#ffffff">UTG+1 showed Jh 6h 8c 2c</font>
Old 02-08-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...non-club Eights and the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] give you the nuts on the turn..

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, an Eight loses to QT. Non-nut hand, I still call. Wrong forum. I'm bad at poker.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Omaha Hi/Low 8-or-better:

[/ QUOTE ]

??? You were playing plo I thought.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like a set, don't it? A double-gut draw isn't as big in Omaha as it is in HE, but it's a good draw with the flush cards. Queens will beat a set but lose to broadway, non-club Eights and the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] give you the nuts on the turn, but a paired board means you're drawing to one card (q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) on the river.

I wouldn't go crazy with your hand, but the cap prevents you from going crazy, so I'd call. You have the same drawing advantage as if you were all-in (you're guaranteed to see the river) but it doesn't cost you as much if you don't make it. The cap makes this particular hand play differently than normal pot-limit.

But yeah, wrong forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it looks like he's betting a set, or maybe the nut flush draw. Either way you're not in great shape with 2:1 pot odds, but not terrible either. Of course, there is one other player to act behind you, but he can only overcall giving you 3:1 pot odds, etc etc etc. That's why Omaha just gives me a headache. I came here looking for some simple stud posts and you sick this puppy on us?? lol

p.s. Steve, I thought at first your signature must be someone making an odd joke till I read your profile. Since when did the king of punk producers start playing King high SF draws?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

p.s. Steve... playing King high SF draws?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not playing them, just talking about them. I fold pre-flop. And I'm bad at poker.