Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 01-25-2007, 11:58 PM

Default New Bank Account in Canada for US resident

US resident. I would like to go to Canada and set up a bank account.

Do I need a Canadian insurance ID to set up a Canadian bank account? If so, how would I obtain one?

I believe I misinformed the Canadian bank representative I spoke with that I was planning on becoming a resident and this process was in the works. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] She said a passport and US license would be sufficient to open an account.

Before I make the trip I'd like to avoid any snags.

Any help / info appreciated.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Re: New Bank Account in Canada for US resident

[ QUOTE ]
US resident. I would like to go to Canada and set up a bank account.

Do I need a Canadian insurance ID to set up a Canadian bank account? If so, how would I obtain one?

I believe I misinformed the Canadian bank representative I spoke with that I was planning on becoming a resident and this process was in the works. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] She said a passport and US license would be sufficient to open an account.

Before I make the trip I'd like to avoid any snags.

Any help / info appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you live? i currently am in MI and can get to Canada very easy, am wondering if their banks still offer numbered accounts
Old 01-26-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you live? i currently am in MI and can get to Canada very easy, am wondering if their banks still offer numbered accounts

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Arizona so it is quite a trip for me. A law firm in Canada said they could guarantee citizenship for $1,800. Be nice to avoid that. Just don't know if the banks are strict about checking for Insurance Ids, which I guess is like a US SS #

What do you mean by numbered accounts? Does Canada link the bank account to a Candian ID #?
Old 01-26-2007, 03:19 AM

Without making any guarantees, he're my experience......

I moved to Canada from the US three years ago. About two months prior to even applying for my work permit, I came up to Vancouver to meet with my intended employer and discuss the details surrounding my move. On that initial trip, and without any documentation establishing my residency status, I opened a US dollar checking account with TD Canada Trust. They did not ask for either a SSN or the Canadian SIN (which of course I didn't have then). I simply showed them my US driver's license, told them that I had business dealings in Canada, and wished to open an account. I gave my employer's office address as the account address, which they did not verify in any way. A few weeks later, my checks arrived at my employer's office. That account remains open to this day, and I have never been asked for additional background information about it at any time.

Your results may vary -- but my hunch is that the threshold for opening an account in Canada as a US citizen is pretty low, even post-9/11.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:24 AM

Appreciate the feedback Waylon.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM

We have received your message inquiring if you can open a checking account as a US citizen not residing in Canada. My name is xxx and I am happy to help you.

I would like to inform that it is not possible to open a new account with RBC Royal Bank from outside of Canada unless you already have an account with RBC Royal Bank or are applying for Landed Immigrant Status and require an account to comply with immigration approval procedure. The following website will provide additional information:

http://www.rbc.com/canada/idrequirements.html

We appreciate your loyalty towards RBC Royal Bank, and thank you for using RBC E-messaging Service. Please do not hesitate to contact us again through this message centre or by phone at 1-800-769-2555, if we may be of further assistance.

RBC Royal Bank
Old 01-26-2007, 01:49 PM

I called CIBC and specifically told them I am an American citizen but NOT a Canadian resident and wanted to open a Canadian bank account.

The rep told me all I needed was:

1. To physically go to one of their branches in Canada
2. Provide a valid passport
3. Provide another valid picture ID (drivers license)
Old 01-26-2007, 02:41 PM

I think it would be fairly important to also have a canadian address, such as a PO box?

Those should be easy to get?

wow someone immediatly delete this thread

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be fairly important to also have a canadian address, such as a PO box?

Those should be easy to get?

wow someone immediatly delete this thread

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just spoke to Royal Bank of Canada

You do not need a canadian address

Thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 03:11 PM

I also called, twice, to two different CIBC toll-free numbers (1-800-465-2422 and 1-866-525-8622) and was told by both representatives that I would have to provide a Canadian address. I stated that I lived in and was a citizen of the US. I was told I could not open a checking account.