Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit

Old 11-24-2007, 01:19 AM

Default stars 1/2 - KQ ocs in raised pot

First better is 15% VPIP, 6.8% raise, 2.25 AF. The caller behind me is a terrible donk who will call any 2 including NPND, so i assume he is just dead money in the pot.

I wasn't sure if i should just fold my overcards, but i figure a call cannot be right, so i raised. When i get 3 bet, it's only 1 bet back to me in a big pot. I have to call this flop right?

The K hits, then he bets again, which worried me because the k didn't slow him down at all. But once the K hits I can't fold can I? So should i raise the turn, then fold if 3 bet? I'm wondering if even if it's 1 bet back to me on the flop, if i'm not sure if I win if the K hits if i shouldn't just fold.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $1.50. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ???
Old 11-24-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: stars 1/2 - KQ ocs in raised pot

I'd probably call the flop and fold the turn unimproved.

As played, call down from turn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 01:59 AM

I also flat call the flop, planning to fold the turn unimproved. We don't really have any reason to see a river unless we improve on the turn, so no reason to pay more than we have to in order to find out.

As played I also call down, although given your read on the opponent we can probably fold unimproved if he bets again on the river (the board pairing, especially a 9, constitutes improving). The K is a definite scare card for any lower pair hand, BB appears to be halfway decent based on his stat line, and between raising the flop &amp; calling his turn bet he has to figure we can beat a pair of nines.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:24 AM

Is raising on the flop here standard? I get donked into fairly regularly, and I'm never really quite sure what to do. I find they generally do it with a pair, so I think raising is a bad play, but you do find the occasional maniac that does it with air.

I think a flop peel is a better line, and in position I prefer to play this quite passively. I think since you played it this way, turn is a call, but if you had called on the flop, the turn would then be a raise.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a flop peel is a better line, and in position I prefer to play this quite passively. I think since you played it this way, turn is a call, but if you had called on the flop, the turn would then be a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

His 3-bet has me worried though. You were the preflop raiser and with raising the flop are basically saying "I can beat top pair". Him 3-betting could very well mean "I have 78, or I have top pair with nut flush draw".
78 has you drawing dead, top pair with nut flush draw taints a couple of your outs...
Old 11-24-2007, 08:38 AM

I raised the flop to try to knock out the guy behind me possibly get a free card if the bettor has something like 98s. I thought if i'm going to call in this spot I should raise to get it heads up and possibly get a free card if i don't. I guess that is bad reasoning. I have a feeling this may be a major leak in my game. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling this may be a major leak in my game. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you discovered what it was. It certainly makes it easier to fix when you know what the problem is!
Old 11-24-2007, 09:53 AM

Flop: I lean towards a fold. I know you are getting 10-1, but you have only 6 outs max and 2 players to act behind you. If you are going to continue raising is better than calling.

Turn:As played I raise then fold to a reraise.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:41 AM

Grunch

I would call the flop and would have raised the turn. I call the flop because I just really want to take one card off and if bettor is willing to bet the turn and I have not improved .. I am out.

As played: Maybe BB hit a set, two pair or an overpair on the flop. I think you need to call this down hoping that was betting top pair or an overpair on the flop. I think you still have some chance to win this hand .. just play defense at this point.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:51 PM

If i take that card off, and raise the turn, am i folding to 3 bet? I if the flop bettor 3 bets there he has to have 2 pair or a set I think.

Thanks for the responses!