Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Coaching/Training > DeucesCracked.com

Old 11-10-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Video: DeathDonkey plays 15/30 LHE 6-Max

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the 2/3 blind structure makes it closer

[/ QUOTE ]

that might make the button marginally more likely to raise, but i don't really see why that would make a significant difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

slightly more money in the pot to fight over with fewer opponents. We also have relative position by acting after the button post flop which will doesn't quite balance out the ability to act last, but it does make it easier to isolate the button. Like I said in the last post I wouldn't call this slim personally, I might get as slim as 96o in this situation. The T is a big part of his limping hand range, oddly a 9 makes me more comfortable since we aren't playing for high-card dominance.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

slightly more money in the pot to fight over with fewer opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

1/6 of a small blind gives you somewhere between 0.01 and 0.02 big blinds more in equity. it's probably closer to 0.01 with reverse implied odds considered. the fact that the small blind is slightly bigger really shouldn't affect your decisions in the big blind materially, unless you happen to know that LP players are raising significantly more because of it.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 PM

One thing that a lot of people forget is that calling in the BB there puts you in a good position to pick up the pot with a bluff on some of the extremely dry flops. That being said I would still say it's pretty close unless you know a lot about / play extremely well against the players in question. Might be a spot where you can run the hand at higher limits (30/60+) but not the lower ones (you pay something in the ballpark of 0.08BB/hand played in rake at 5/10).
Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 AM

weird...

button raises and you fold J3o in the bb (~5:1)

folded to you in the sb and you complete T3o (~5:1)

Is this just because vs the button raise your equity dropped?

I think the button raiser's ASB was about 34% and he was a loose aggressive type (40/17) (2100 hands).
Old 11-28-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
weird...

button raises and you fold J3o in the bb (~5:1)

folded to you in the sb and you complete T3o (~5:1)

Is this just because vs the button raise your equity dropped?

I think the button raiser's ASB was about 34% and he was a loose aggressive type (40/17) (2100 hands).

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo. As a rule of thumb you want to defend with hands that contain 35% equity vs you opponents range. Vs a SB that is playing 80% or more of his hands your should feel free to play nearly everything, T3o has 37% equity vs his range. The chart below was calculated by Equilator, a great equity ranging tool that is sort of like PokerStove on steroids -

Handrange with greater equity than 35% vs the button:

Player 1: 44+, A2s+, K3s+, Q7s+, J9s+, T9s, A2o+, K6o+, Q9o+, JTo

22+
---
A2s+
K2s+
Q2s+
J3s+
T4s+
95s+
84s+
74s+
63s+
53s+
43s
---
A2o+
K2o+
Q8o+
J8o+
T8o+
97o+
87o
76o
Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

bingo. As a rule of thumb you want to defend with hands that contain 35% equity vs you opponents range.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's sort of a crappy rule of thumb. I've recently went through my db (I defend more than I should, so my sample sizes are pretty big), and I'm pretty sure the "rule" should be slightly less than 35% for suited hands, around 35% for offsuit connectors, and somewhat above 35% for offsuit big-litle type hands. I'll let others do the work themselves to come up with the exact numbers.

Thanks for the equilator ref--I'm gonna check it out right now.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

bingo. As a rule of thumb you want to defend with hands that contain 35% equity vs you opponents range.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's sort of a crappy rule of thumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

a rule of thumb doesnt mean its a fact, it means its a good measurement to estimate with. Its great starting guide, nothing more - like most situations in poker you must adjust, adjust, adjust! Remember - everyone's thumbs are different sizes (and NT! has No Thumbs!)
Old 11-28-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's sort of a crappy rule of thumb. I've recently went through my db (I defend more than I should, so my sample sizes are pretty big), and I'm pretty sure the "rule" should be slightly less than 35% for suited hands, around 35% for offsuit connectors, and somewhat above 35% for offsuit big-litle type hands. I'll let others do the work themselves to come up with the exact numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]
obviously any 'rule of thumb' is going to be very rough in this spot since HU it's going to depend so greatly on the quality of your postflop play relative to your opponent's... it's just a rough estimate to start with and it should get you in the right ballpark. take it for what it's worth.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your free to grovel at my feet for turning you on to Equilator, its my favorite poker tool hands down. I can live without a hud, a tracker (would suck for tax records but I can live without it), etc etc etc.... but Equilator is a rare gem.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
obviously any 'rule of thumb' is going to be very rough in this spot since HU it's going to depend so greatly on the quality of your postflop play relative to your opponent's... it's just a rough estimate to start with and it should get you in the right ballpark. take it for what it's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i hear ya. i was just trying to drop some knowledge in case anyone here was interested. oh well, back to trolling the strat forums...