Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Useful aces hypo

You are 300 BBs deep, and are UTG with AA26 no suits. You raise the pot preflop. You have a perfect read on the CO - 'stickstacksin' - in that he will only and always raise again whatever his stack size with any AAxx and stack off on any flop with it. You also have a perfect read on button - his screenname is in fact 'got2cdaflop' - will rarely fold preflop, but will play flawless postflop poker, he is in fact your nemesis and has never misread you.

CO potraises you, and the button coldcalls. Your play?

Part 2: same situation, but you get to choose what aces you want. Assuming you would fold some aces, which would they be? Are there any aces you would just call preflop? How good do your aces need to be to stick it in?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Useful aces hypo

I think it's very clear you should call with all AA here. Hit 2 pair or better on the flop, check, hope button gets out of the way, stack CO.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:01 AM

At what stack depth do you think this changes?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:23 PM

I don't know, I was just trying to get the trivial observations out of the way.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:07 PM

#1 Isn't this a pretty marginal call of the 3-bet preflop OOP with CO likely having better Aces than us and Button knowing likely CO's hand? Are there really any flops you'll love besides 662, 222, 666 or 345 (not that you'll love 2nd nuts there)? Then again I wouldn't be raising UTG in that spot unless it was a really tight table, nor do I have the moxie to muck Aces there that often. I guess I'd be cautious postflop with anything less than two pair as well.

#2 In terms of sticking it in, double-suited Aces with excellent sidecards such as 77+, two broadways, or connectors 56 and up, but that's my personal preference. Single-suited Aces with big pairs, two broadways and maybe T9 and up would be fine to me too, but I've never played that deep versus someone else that deep so it's hard to say.

I'd just call rainbow AA with another pair, connectors, and broadways.

I'd fold some ragged Aces with 72, 94, etc. but that's usually only in the scenario you presented since short-handed the 3-bet range of many Villains is much wider than just Aces.