Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2006, 10:57 PM

Default What do donk bets mean?

I didn't have any reads on villain yet, and this is more of a general question than a hand-specific question anyway. Just assume he's your typical Stars .25/.50 player.

What does villain probably have here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG+1 ($30.60)
MP1 ($39.70)
MP2 ($62.45)
Hero ($67.75)
Button ($63.60)
SB ($19.25)
BB ($30)
UTG ($40.50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, BB calls $5.50.

Turn: ($20.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $10</font>
Old 09-14-2006, 11:03 PM

Default Re: What do donk bets mean?

I think usually it's a draw trying to get you to flat call so he can control the betting and look to get his card cheaply.

I don't see him having a lot here, maybe JTd or QTd, some kind of a draw like that, I shove him in usually here. He's only got $30 and there's $20 in already after his turn bet.

I really don't think Ax (that's higher than your kicker) bets like this after the pressure, it really looks like a draw to me.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:09 PM

I donk-bet often with marginal holdings that I want fold equity on. I usually fold to agression. (GASP) I jsut found a leak!!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:27 PM

It can be frustruating is someone keeps donk betting at you. I find that it can mean a number of things. Some opponents do it if they notice you've been c-betting alot (and folding to any resistance) and they missed the flop. Since they know you are going to bet, they try and take it down before you bet. It also can mean a weakish pair or draw that wants some FE or to see the next street cheaply.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:42 PM

8 handed and you think you're good? Just c/c or fold. He must think you have the ace unless you have a bad reputation at the table, if he's betting with A3-A8, I'd be surprised.

I'd personally fold here, he's trying to get you to call in the rest of your stack one chip at a time. You'll be in better spots and you'll pick up better situations with A9s. But 8 handed seems like you're living dangerously. It's not like he's going to reraise you with AT-AQ. I'd flat call. And I'd Fold A2-A9. Again, I'm speaking 8 handed.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:56 PM

Note the action. It wasn't that he led the flop. It was that he led the flop, I raised, he called, and then he led the turn.

The turn lead is what I can't make any sense of. The turn card was very unlikely to have helped his hand, and since I raised the flop, you'd think if he thought his hand was good, he would have 3-bet the flop, or checkraised the turn.

I just can't make it make any sense.

I folded in the hand, btw, so we'll never know what he had.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:00 AM

Semi-bluff with an inside straight draw, flush draw, JJ or, on the other hand, a set of 10s, 2 pair Aces. He was the one putting the money in the pot first, he didn't wait for you to c-bet it. Also, if you're reraising the flop, he probably figures you'd raise the turn also, so he can safely bet half the pot, and you'll double his raise to an all-in.

He also could have had the nuts. Good hand by the way. I see nothing wrong with how you played it.