Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Iraq spending: ROI?

For the insane amount of spending we've pumped into the Iraq war, what's the return on investment (#'s if possible)?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Iraq spending: ROI?

Hatred?
Old 10-14-2007, 11:09 PM

ROI for whom?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the insane amount of spending we've pumped into the Iraq war, what's the return on investment (#'s if possible)?

[/ QUOTE ]

el oh el?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:10 AM

~ -8 soldiers/billion $
Old 10-15-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually not a dumb question. in purley economic terms, for example, the price of oil is maintained at a higher le vel than it otherwise would be, so there's lot's of profit right there, for example.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:52 AM

everyone is eager to stand up for or against the war in moral terms, but what about looking at it strictly financially? so, is it a net gain for the USA? Is oil really worth that much?

I'll support the war if we're padding our roll with it. Loss of lives is less significant as long as I'm not involved. </honesty>
Old 10-15-2007, 02:44 AM

If we were able to just plunder the oil it would be worth it. I believe there is 5-10 trillion worth in the ground. As things stand all we are getting are strategically positioned bases. A 450 billion dollar keep out sign.

The negatives are much higher oil prices, which strengthens russia, and weakens us, a stronger Iran because of the elimination of Saddam, worldwide antipathy towards the US, and a significant weakening of our armed services.

If a world war 2 style conflict arose we would be excellently positioned to win. Of course such a conflict is impossible given nuclear weapons.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
everyone is eager to stand up for or against the war in moral terms, but what about looking at it strictly financially? so, is it a net gain for the USA? Is oil really worth that much?

I'll support the war if we're padding our roll with it. Loss of lives is less significant as long as I'm not involved. </honesty>

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's roll? Assuming you're an average american and not on the Haliburton board you've got far far more in commmon with the average iraqi than anyone whose "padding their roll" from this hideous circus of rape murder and squalour. In fact those same people are stealing from you as well in the form of increased taxes to pay for the war debt.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's roll? Assuming you're an average american and not on the Haliburton board you've got far far more in commmon with the average iraqi than anyone whose "padding their roll" from this hideous circus of rape murder and squalour. In fact those same people are stealing from you as well in the form of increased taxes to pay for the war debt.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people make the claim that the US invaded so that we can get their oil. Who the hell is we? It seems pretty obvious that US occupation has worked to prevent non-US/British oil companies from accessing Iraqi oil. This has kept oil prices up by limiting the supply on the market.

LOL at the nationalistic mindset that WE'RE padding OUR roll.