Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 AM

Default NLTRN: What type of hands should I analyze?

As far as I can tell there are two ways of learning from playing:
1) Review hands you donīt know if you played correctly (either alone or post it on a forum).
2) Just keep on playing and your feeling for what the correct play is will gradually improve.

Number 1 has the advantage that you learn more from analyzing a hand than you would if you hadnīt analyzed it.

Number 2 has the advantage that you spend more of your poker devoted time playing, thus you earn more money per hour in the short run. Another advantage is that by playing more, you play- and learn from more hands than you would if you analyzed hands.

I would imagine that important hands which are easy to analyze (say whether or not to call an all-in) take so little time to analyze and improves your game so much that it is worth sacrificing the time (and indirectly, the money) to analyze.

And if a hand is complicated to analyze and of little importance (say whether or not to open-raise with a marginal hand in the beginning of the tournament) you would be better off in the long run (as well as the short run) to just keep on playing and donīt look back.

The question then becomes, what are the border-situations where number 1 and 2 are eqully attactive options?

I am pretty sure situations where you face an all-in (preflop or postflop) or when you are considering going all-in preflop are worthy of an analysis, but should I analyze even more hands?

I figure the type of hands which may be worthy of analysis are hands where you consider pushing all-in postflop and hands where your opponent will either push or fold if you raise preflop.

I understand of course that it is best to be willing to take some complicated analysises once in a while, but for most of the time it is best to leave them alone.

What do you guys think?

Edit:
Also, how is the competition on FTP compared to Pokerstars?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: What type of hands should I analyze?

I agree for the most part. Playing is way better for getting a feel for peoples ranges in certain spots and understanding table dynamics.

But there are some concepts you figure out faster by analyzing hands (e.g. pushing combo draws is good) so you should do it every once it a while.

Also, preflop hands are almost never interesting.