Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Do you think you\'re the best?

I was watching William Hill II, the episode with Esfandiari, and he was saying that "All poker plays think they are the best in the world", implying this is neccesary to have the confidence to win.

Do you guys think you are the best in the world?

I've never thought I was...Maybe I think I'm the best player in the games I've played in, I'm pretty sure that is true...But I've never thought I was the best in the world. So, does that mean I don't have the confidence to be a good poker player? I don't think so...
Old 04-03-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Do you think you\'re the best?

I don't think he meant it in a good way. Most players who think they are the "best in the world" are usually over-stating their ability and thus suffer from over-confidence and end up making bad plays at all the wrong times, like trying to push a player around with his AK when his opp. has 2nd pair and gonna call anyway.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:31 PM

At one point I thought I was pretty good. Now I think I suck and can't believe I am profitable.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:08 PM

I don't think I am the best . . . I know it!!

Nah, I think actually that I am a barely competent player.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At one point I thought I was pretty good. Now I think I suck and can't believe I am profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I'm usually (to the best of my ability to assess) the best player at any given table I'm on. If I wasn't one of the top 2, I wouldn't have bothered sitting down.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I'm usually (to the best of my ability to assess) the best player at any given table I'm on. If I wasn't one of the top 2, I wouldn't have bothered sitting down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i can see my self in both these situations.
When i was much worse than now, i thought i was really good and poker was easy for me, but after i have got a lot better, i have started to analyse my game so closely and tried to educate myself through books etc.

This has brought a lot os stuff up like, all the situations im in and i make a choise i found difficult good result or bad, i then try find any mistakes i might have made.
This kind of behaviour brings up constant doubts about your gae even though it might be really good.
Funny part is that these doubts i hardly had when i began poker.
Self critic is crusial to become a solid winner imo.

I don`t sit in games either, if i dont feel confident im among the best.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:17 PM

Confidence is a huge part of poker, if you don't think you can beat a game you're sitting at, then you probably can't
Old 04-04-2007, 06:00 AM

You`re certainly putting yourself in a psychological hole if you don`t think you`re at least as good as everyone else at
the table
Old 04-04-2007, 06:52 AM

I used to think I was a "great player". I used to play very small stakes online MTTs and sng's and was quite profitable. Then when I really got going (turned $20 into $1,400 in 1 year) I thought I was god's gift. When I started to play bigger games and started reading this forum I realised that I really wasn't anything special. People talking about how they make 30k+ per year online. Im no where near that level. It's humbling in a way, I believe ever since I realised I'm a long long way off being the best, my game has improved a lot. The key is you can be confident without being arrogant. When I sit at a table I can clearly tell which players are good and which are not. I can also tell when there is a player at my table who is perhaps better than me. The key is you have to respect them but by no means fear them. No matter how good a player is i'm always confident ill find a hand and stack them. Also realising im not the best has helped a lot with tilt control. In my arrogant days a bad beat did not go down well with me. The whole "Im the best and the only way I can ever lose is by getting sucked out on" (a la Phil Hellmuth) but when you realise you're not the best you can recognise when a "bad beat" perhaps also had something to do with you playing the hand badly and you can learn from it. Seeing players that are much better than myself having worse luck than me definitely makes me realise that it isnt just a conspiracy against me lol. I much prefer getting knocked out of a tourney thinking "I played that hand like an idiot" as opposed to "another suckout". You cant really learn much from suckouts but you can learn from a bad play. So in conclusion I am very confident and believe on my day I can achieve a lot, but I have no plans to turn pro any time soon lol.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You`re certainly putting yourself in a psychological hole if you don`t think you`re at least as good as everyone else at
the table

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

It might be better to be realistic. You may be a profitable table with a player that can consistently outplay you. If so you are better off being honest with yourself and avoiding him/her.

I don't think I'm the best and it doesn't even bother me. My poker ambition is simply to make $ - I don't have my ego wrapped up in poker.

Lucky