Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Second nuts +redraw facing heat...ugh

Shortie is a regular bad shorstacker who can have anything from flush draw to trips or better.

Other Full stack is solid player. Was aggressive when we were playing HU and didn't get out of control.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.50 BB (3 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($58.45)
BB ($12)
Hero ($63.70)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, SB calls $1.50, BB calls $1.25.

Flop: ($5.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($5.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $10.25</font>, Hero calls $10.25, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $46</font>, Hero ???

I interpret this to be the nuts almost always here. Does anyone fold this? How much does the shorties allin effect a decision here?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Second nuts +redraw facing heat...ugh

folding is probably good here i think. he probably has the nuts here almost always and your redraw might only be good for the side pot or not at all.
i think there are just too few other hands than the nuts he can have here and they re all pretty unlikely.
i doubt the standard player pushes here with a set and 68 is much more likely than 36.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:19 AM

If he is a solid player then it is not always the nuts, because he knows the shorty is going to push a lot and he can pull this move on you with impunity. I would shove unless he is really nitty on the turn.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:02 PM

First, the fact that you turned down an opportunity to push behind the re-raise really telegraphs that you don't have the nuts so his push range is much wider than it might otherwise be.

However, maybe it's just me, I want to know that he's capable of making this move before shoving and your read doesn't really tell me much. The main problem is that he'd play 68 exactly the same way.

In the end, the part that probably makes me fold is the knowledge that I'll still be able to see his hand because shortie is all-in. Knowing what he's playing with is worth a lot, and I think a push is a very high variance but fairly marginal EV play.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 PM

Didn't have a GREAT read on him becasue we had only been playing for 20 mins at most. I was sitting at an empty table and villian showed up with a full buyin and asked to play me heads up...which is odd because its usually the other way around. When I got him below 100bb he would always top it off. He was aggressive HU but not crazy agro post flop and he bluffed once on a river where he had no showdown value. These things just tell me hes a solid player. Thats about the only read I had on the guy at the moment.

Shortie sat in and wouldn't leave when we both asked that it be heads up (standard). I know he CAN reraise this with more than 68xx, but what sort of hands do you see him checking the flop like this, then potting into two players on this turn....THEN after shorstack pushes and a guy that has him covered flats...what would he repot here with?

Also, I think my flat call of the shorstack shove is the best play here, anyone disagree?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think my flat call of the shortstack shove is the best play here, anyone disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's fair to say that you shouldn't flat call here without a plan for what to do if SB pushes back, which is a pretty likely occurrence. It's not going to be a wonderful spot for your hand either way, so folding can't be all that bad. Plus, you get to see his hand.

I suppose an argument could be made for raising to about $20. SB would then be faced with a $15 call with $40 pot which puts him in an awkward place unless he has the nuts. However, I don't think you're deep enough here to make it obvious that you should fold when he goes all-in since he can only raise it to about $56, leaving you with a $36 call for a $91 pot.

Making strong "extrapolating" reads of aggressive players is not my strength in PLO, especially very shorthanded, so I would prefer folding until I knew for sure that he was capable of shoving light.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:17 PM

why didn't you bet the flop? Maybe makes the hand easier to play.
Asplayed i'm probably folding if I don't have much history with the villian.