Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Common No Limit Situation

Cash game. Generally good players. 25-50 blinds. You have about 12K in front of you and most have you covered. You make it 200 to go UTG with AQ of spades. Three calls behind you and both blinds call. Flop is Ad 8h 7h. Small blind checks. Big blind bets $600.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Common No Limit Situation

The big blind just bet half the pot.

Six players saw a flop for $200 each, $1200 in the pot.

Call me weak tight, but out of position here I fold this hand.

Change my Q of spades to the Queen of trump and I would raise to $2400.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cash game. Generally good players. 25-50 blinds. You have about 12K in front of you and most have you covered. You make it 200 to go UTG with AQ of spades. Three calls behind you and both blinds call. Flop is Ad 8h 7h. Small blind checks. Big blind bets $600.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd call and pray for a raise or 4 folds behind me. My hand is too good to fold at this point, but raising isn't great either. I can explain my reasoning if this is controversial.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 PM

I don't like the way this pot is heading. There are five opponents, one is happy to bet into the pf raiser, there are two good draws on board which if they hit means you need runner-runner full house plus three of your opponents have position on you.

I may be seeing demons under the bed but I'm looking forward to my next two hole cards.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:19 PM

Raise to $1800. If I am re-raised, I probably fold.

If I get any callers, my action on the turn would be based largely on whether it completes any draws associated with the 87 on board, or pairs the 8 or 7. My goal would be to see the showdown as cheaply as possible, ideally with no more of my chips going into the pot.

I would modify these actions based on my read of the players, as appropriate.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM

I like a raise to 1800 also. You cant fold and calling is pointless because it tells you nothing. Does a four to the flush call 1800? If you get called after the bet you can most likely say there is a good draw chasing. The initial better most likely has an ace. See what the turn brings and decide from there.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a raise to 1800 also. You cant fold and calling is pointless because it tells you nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It tells you something more cheaply if someone raises behind you or several people call behind you
Old 04-05-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like a raise to 1800 also. You cant fold and calling is pointless because it tells you nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It tells you something more cheaply if someone raises behind you or several people call behind you

[/ QUOTE ]True but what if he semi bluff raising with a heart draw and then you fold. I would rather show strength than try to read his motives for raising. I would not want to fold to a semi bluff with my hand. Good heart draws will pay 600 but mabye not 1800.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would not want to fold to a semi bluff with my hand. Good heart draws will pay 600 but mabye not 1800.

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, BB can't really be semi-bluffing here. He is leading into a UTG raiser with 4 players who haven't acted yet with an A on board. That's an indication of strength, not a semi-bluff since the chance of getting the entire table to fold here has to be pretty slim.

I have to put him on Axh, A7, A8, 78, 77 or 88. So sure a big raise might chase away all the draws, but you are not looking good against BB unless he has Axh (and even that is not great since he will have 12 outs).

And if any of those other players has any of those above hands, they are not going away either.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would not want to fold to a semi bluff with my hand. Good heart draws will pay 600 but mabye not 1800.

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, BB can't really be semi-bluffing here. He is leading into a UTG raiser with 4 players who haven't acted yet with an A on board. That's an indication of strength, not a semi-bluff since the chance of getting the entire table to fold here has to be pretty slim.

I have to put him on Axh, A7, A8, 78, 77 or 88. So sure a big raise might chase away all the draws, but you are not looking good against BB unless he has Axh (and even that is not great since he will have 12 outs).

And if any of those other players has any of those above hands, they are not going away either.

[/ QUOTE ]I was thinking that the people behind me may semi bluff if I dont raise, I put BB on an ace.